Ward, Johnson finish with top scores in 'Dancing With the Stars' finale
Hines Ward put his best foot forward tonight in the finals of ABC's "Dancing with the Stars."
The Steelers wide receiver and professional dance partner Kym Johnson earned 59 out of a possible 60 points in the ballroom dance competition. That score tied Ward with actress Chelsea Kane. The third finalist, actress Kirstie Alley, had just 54 points.
Each finalist danced twice before the judges and a national television audience. The second dance was a freestyle routine in which Ward and Kane each recorded perfect 30 scores.
The winner will be crowned Tuesday on the show's two-hour season finale, beginning at 9 p.m. Each contestant will dance one more time before the winner is announced.
At the end of the first round tonight, Ward and Kane were tied with 29 points, and Alley was in third place with 27.
Ward and Johnson danced a quick step for their first performance. Ward was decked out in a tuxedo and top hat.
Len Goodman was the only one of the three judges not to award a 10 to Ward.
"You're not quite there, yet," Goodman said.
For his second routine, Ward dressed as a drum major, which the judges deemed to be a "risky" move. Yet, Ward and Johnson drew perfect scores for their routine.
Fan votes count for half of the overall score.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Banged-up Steelers can clinch with win over Chiefs
- Chiefs game-plan play that suits speedy rookie Thomas’ talents
- Steelers’ Bell, Chiefs’ Charles elevating running back position in NFL
- Steelers, young and old, thirst for opportunity to reach the postseason
- QB Smith is chief concern for Steelers’ defense
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase
- Steelers’ secondary won’t face Falcons’ Jones
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL
- Veteran tight end Miller’s blocking skill crucial to success to Steelers running game