Steelers sign free agent tight end
The Steelers have agreed to terms with veteran free agent tight John Gilmore.
The 6-foot-5, 257-pound Penn State graduate started 11 games for Tampa Bay last year and caught 13 passes for 160 yards and a touchdown.
Gilmore, 31, played six years for Chicago and the past three with the Buccaneers.
The Steelers lost backup free agent tight end Matt Spaeth to Chicago last week.
Gilmore will compete with David Johnson for the backup spot behind Heath Miller.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers defense takes aim at Ravens QB Flacco
- Steelers notebook: Ravens enter short-handed at tight end
- Veteran LB Harrison: Steelers must play to way defense is set up
- Steelers notebook: Fully healthy, rookie WR Bryant progressing fast
- Steelers’ prime-time games shrink attendance at Heinz Field
- ‘Big play’ moniker fits veteran Steelers cornerback Gay
- Steelers film session: Accuracy propels Roethlisberger vs. Colts
- Roethlisberger’s performance arguably among NFL’s greatest
- Steelers look ahead vs. Baltimore Ravens: All John Harbaugh does is win
- Steelers free safety Mitchell is still settling into role on defense
- Steelers offense puts up gaudy numbers in season’s 1st half