Steelers injury-riddled DE Smith to return
TribLIVE Sports Videos
• Starting defensive end Aaron Smith, who missed another practice Sunday because of swelling in his knee, said he plans to return to the field Tuesday. Smith, who is off today with the rest of the Steelers players, is anxious to start practicing again. "Personally, I feel like I need all of the reps I can get," said Smith, who is going into his 13th season and missed the final 13 games last season because of a partially torn triceps. He hasn't practiced since playing in the Steelers' preseason opener on Aug. 12. Smith said he wanted to return sooner, but the Steelers are erring on the side of caution.
• Rookie left tackle Marcus Gilbert, who left last Saturday's game with a hyperextended knee, practiced yesterday. "Just keep moving forward and getting better and better," the Steelers' second-round pick said when asked about his return to practice. Cornerback Bryant McFadden (quad and hamstring) practiced on a limited basis yesterday. McFadden has missed both of the Steelers' preseason games. He said he is hoping to play some Saturday against the visiting Atlanta Falcons.
• Wide receiver Hines Ward didn't practice yesterday, getting a veterans day off from coach Mike Tomlin. Ward has been working his way into football shape after opening training camp on the physically unable to perform (PUP) list. "It's still training camp. Legs are tired, and we're just keeping our eye on certain things," said Ward, who was put on the PUP list because he was still recovering from thumb surgery. "I want to be fresh. I feel good as far as running my routes. My conditioning's still not where I want it to be, but I'm not really worried about that. It's just a matter of gradually getting there.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers unfazed by Brady suspension saga
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Inside the Steelers: Ventrone suffers right ankle injury
- Steelers notebook: Backup QB Gradkowski remains out with shoulder issue
- Butler, Steelers defense take on new challenges
- Steelers extend GM Colbert’s contract through 2018 draft
- Steelers notebook: 5 players start training camp on injured list
- Rossi: St. Vincent a football sanctuary during Steelers training camp
- Steelers LB Timmons has grown into leadership role on defense