Notebook: Steelers sign eight players to practice squad
The Steelers on Sunday signed eight players to their practice squad: RB John Clay, OL Trevis Turner, DE Corbin Bryant, TE Jamie McCoy, WR Tyler Grisham, OL John Malecki, LB Mortty Ivy and DB Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith.
Arizona claimed former Steelers cornerback Crezdon Butler off waivers.
The Cardinals' defensive coordinator is Ray Horton, who was the Steelers' defensive backs coach last year.
• Cornerback Ike Taylor will have the pin removed from his broken right thumb Tuesday, exactly three weeks after surgery. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects Taylor to be ready for Sunday's season opener at Baltimore. "In Ike Taylor-like fashion, he hasn't missed much work in the midst of all this anyway," Tomlin said. "We expect him to play." Taylor broke the thumb on the second play of the first preseason game against Washington.
• Tomlin said he has been impressed with rookie cornerback Cortez Allen out of The Citadel, despite Allen being limited during training camp because of injuries. "We didn't see much, but what we did see was interesting," Tomlin said. "The fact that he is a small-college guy and is not wowed by this at all, we liked his game-day demeanor the other night. He made some plays. We are excited about what maybe he is capable of becoming."
• The Steelers returned to practice yesterday in what Tomlin called a "bonus day." The only player who did not practice was LB Chris Carter.
• Tomlin officially named Doug Legursky as the starting right guard, but would not elaborate whether he would be the first backup at center.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Brown leads WRs in Pro Bowl voting, Bell 2nd at RB
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Steelers offense finding an unprecedented balance when it counts
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL
- Injury-thinned Steelers linebackers corps stands tall in win over Falcons
- Steelers Film Session: Falcons find way to limit Bell’s production
- Steelers notebook: Pass rush still seeks spark from rookie Tuitt
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase
- Steelers guard DeCastro paving new roads
- Steelers notebook: Falcons won’t apologize for playoff circumstances
- Steelers-Falcons play to watch: Strong left shotgun read