Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of issues heading into the team's game this week:
On moving Marcus Gilbert to left tackle:
"Marcus Gilbert will be at right tackle. We are comfortable with what he is doing and with Trai Essex lining up on the left side, and what he is capable of doing on the left side of our offensive line. We have played a lot of football with Trai in the past, and he has generally been above the line, and that is what we anticipate him playing."
On the struggling running game:
"When I talk about us being a team in development, that is one of the things that I point to; we are still very much a team in development in that area. I try not to frame it at this early juncture, but when you look at it, we got behind in Baltimore, so we didn't have a productive day there."
On Troy Polamalu being aggressive at the line of scrimmage:
"We move (Polamalu) around, pressure, show up in the run game, blitz and cover. Troy is a multi-faceted guy, so we have to be open-minded in terms of how we utilize him, and we will be."
On pressuring Houston quarterback Matt Schaub:
"I think it is important to get to him, but I think in order to get to him, the first thing you need to do is be sound against the running game. As long as they are running the football, they are going to attack you with the misdirection pass, and the launch point is going to change. It is going to be tough to find rhythm in terms of getting to him."
On not having any timeouts remaining Sunday night for the final drive:
"I didn't realize that until after. I lost that timeout when Jonathan Scott went down in that sequence of events. I have to get better, too. I am a guy in development from a game management standpoint. I don't run away from that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Inside the Steelers: Rookie linebacker Chickillo continues to excel
- Steelers’ reserve quarterbacks vie to secure spot behind Roethlisberger, Gradkowski
- Steelers stress improved conditioning in attempt to play past injuries
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin says Latrobe session won’t differ from normal practice
- Memories of Steelers fan from Beaver Falls go beyond simple recall
- Starkey: Garoppolo baffles Steelers
- Inside the Steelers: Williams’ quickness out of backfield evident in drills
- Steelers notebook: LB Dupree sits out backs-on–backers drill
- Tight ends’ role in Steelers passing game continues to lessen but players remain selfless
- Steelers RB Archer trying to catch up after tough rookie season
- Steelers’ Wheaton adjusting his game moving to slot receiver