Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of issues heading into the team's game this week:
On moving Marcus Gilbert to left tackle:
"Marcus Gilbert will be at right tackle. We are comfortable with what he is doing and with Trai Essex lining up on the left side, and what he is capable of doing on the left side of our offensive line. We have played a lot of football with Trai in the past, and he has generally been above the line, and that is what we anticipate him playing."
On the struggling running game:
"When I talk about us being a team in development, that is one of the things that I point to; we are still very much a team in development in that area. I try not to frame it at this early juncture, but when you look at it, we got behind in Baltimore, so we didn't have a productive day there."
On Troy Polamalu being aggressive at the line of scrimmage:
"We move (Polamalu) around, pressure, show up in the run game, blitz and cover. Troy is a multi-faceted guy, so we have to be open-minded in terms of how we utilize him, and we will be."
On pressuring Houston quarterback Matt Schaub:
"I think it is important to get to him, but I think in order to get to him, the first thing you need to do is be sound against the running game. As long as they are running the football, they are going to attack you with the misdirection pass, and the launch point is going to change. It is going to be tough to find rhythm in terms of getting to him."
On not having any timeouts remaining Sunday night for the final drive:
"I didn't realize that until after. I lost that timeout when Jonathan Scott went down in that sequence of events. I have to get better, too. I am a guy in development from a game management standpoint. I don't run away from that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers lookahead: Chiefs’ Charles injured but remains dangerous threat
- Steelers offense finding an unprecedented balance when it counts
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin unaware of mumps outbreak in NHL
- Steelers notebook: Coverage teams on alert to limit Hester’s returns
- Injury-thinned Steelers linebackers corps stands tall in win over Falcons
- Steelers Film Session: Falcons find way to limit Bell’s production
- Steelers hold off the Falcons to keep moving in AFC North chase
- Steelers’ Brown quickly earning reputation as ‘game wrecker’
- Steelers guard DeCastro paving new roads
- Steelers notebook: Falcons won’t apologize for playoff circumstances
- Rossi: Wheaton a key piece for Steelers down the stretch