Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of issues heading into the team's game this week:
On moving Marcus Gilbert to left tackle:
"Marcus Gilbert will be at right tackle. We are comfortable with what he is doing and with Trai Essex lining up on the left side, and what he is capable of doing on the left side of our offensive line. We have played a lot of football with Trai in the past, and he has generally been above the line, and that is what we anticipate him playing."
On the struggling running game:
"When I talk about us being a team in development, that is one of the things that I point to; we are still very much a team in development in that area. I try not to frame it at this early juncture, but when you look at it, we got behind in Baltimore, so we didn't have a productive day there."
On Troy Polamalu being aggressive at the line of scrimmage:
"We move (Polamalu) around, pressure, show up in the run game, blitz and cover. Troy is a multi-faceted guy, so we have to be open-minded in terms of how we utilize him, and we will be."
On pressuring Houston quarterback Matt Schaub:
"I think it is important to get to him, but I think in order to get to him, the first thing you need to do is be sound against the running game. As long as they are running the football, they are going to attack you with the misdirection pass, and the launch point is going to change. It is going to be tough to find rhythm in terms of getting to him."
On not having any timeouts remaining Sunday night for the final drive:
"I didn't realize that until after. I lost that timeout when Jonathan Scott went down in that sequence of events. I have to get better, too. I am a guy in development from a game management standpoint. I don't run away from that."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints
- Steelers’ lookahead: New Orleans Saints
- Steelers notebook: Defense tasked with stopping Graham
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Steelers realize that Brees-led Saints are always dangerous
- Play of nose tackles could have impact on Steelers’ stretch run
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle