Max Starks nears deal to return to Steelers
The Steelers are close to re-signing Max Starks to fortify their injury-depleted offensive line, multiple sources told the Tribune-Review on Tuesday night.
Starks met with the Steelers last night and there are apparently no concerns about his weight, which had been an issue because of a neck injury that limited his workouts during the offseason. His listed weight is 345.
Starks was with the team since 2004 before the Steelers released him in late July.
He has started at both left and right tackle, and the seventh-year veteran held down the former position from early in 2008 until last November when he suffered a season-ending neck injury. It is not clear if Starks will challenge for a starting job or just provide depth.
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said yesterday at his weekly news conference that left tackle Jonathan Scott is on track to return to the starting lineup after missing Sunday's game against the Houston Texans because of a sprained ankle.
Starks worked out for the Minnesota Vikings last week. He met with the Steelers two days after quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was sacked five times in a 17-10 loss to the Texans.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers interested in playing internationally again
- Former Steelers kicker Reed doesn’t like new NFL PAT rule
- Steelers offensive line targeting injury-free performance as key
- Steelers claim QB-turned-WR Gardner
- Steelers’ Heyward looking to stay for long haul
- Starkey: Clayton, Steelers and ‘Shouldergate’
- Steelers guard Foster likes offense’s direction heading into season
- NFL moves PAT back to 15-yard line