Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on a number of issues heading into his team's game this week:
On Lawrence Timmons' performance in his first start at right outside linebacker:
"I thought he did some nice things, particularly against the run. He did a few more things than we even anticipated. He moved around late in the game with some subpackage football, allowing Chris Carter to do the simplest assignment when he was rotating with Chris Carter. We value position flexibility. Lawrence has done it before. We expect him to do it and do it well."
On why this week's opponent, the Jaguars and of whom he praised, are in the midst of a four-game losing streak:
"I think when you're going through the type of transitions that they have at the quarterback position, there's going to be a period of adjustment. Here in little over a month, they've had three primary signal-callers, and I think that creates a tough transition period. I think they're doing a nice job of managing it. I think they're doing a nice job of playing to their strengths, utilizing Maurice Jones-Drew."
On Jones-Drew, who is fourth in the NFL with 476 rushing yards:
"Probably no one in football means more to their team than Maurice Jones-Drew with the things that he's capable of doing. He's a very physical runner, got great vision, power and speed. He's not small, he's just short. He's got built-in leverage."
On whether the Steelers' pass defense, ranked No. 1 in the league, is significantly better than in 2010:
"I'm not ready to characterize it. Last year, (the Steelers had) 19, 20 games — (the) body of work — and at this point, we're just four or five games into the body of work. I'm not ready to look for trends at this point. I think we are doing a nice job of keeping the ball in front of us, challenging throws, and that's a great place to start."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- RB Williams believes he’s making seamless transition to Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin mum on Bryant suspension
- Big plays cost Steelers defense in preseason loss at Bills
- Rossi: Beleaguered Steelers need MVP from Big Ben
- Healthy, confident Steelers LB Shazier ready for full speed ahead
- QB Vick hits ground running in debut
- Steelers notebook: Legursky returns to provide offensive line depth
- Steelers rookie receiver Coates learning on the fly
- Steelers ink QB Vick, new teammates OK with signing
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell injures left ankle in practice
- Steelers won’t change scheme after Pouncey injury