Taylor has up-and-down day vs. Fitzgerald
• Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor had an up-and-down game Sunday. He was hit with three penalties, including a defensive holding call that helped Arizona on its first scoring drive. He also missed at least four tackles. He finished with four tackles but didn't break up any of the 10 passes thrown to All-Pro wideout Larry Fitzgerald. It's not as if Taylor had much trouble keeping track of Fitzgerald, who had four receptions for 78 yards. Fitzgerald, with the exception of a 31-yard catch, didn't exactly torment the Steelers' secondary. Still, Taylor did plenty of grabbing and chasing. And if quarterback Kevin Kolb wasn't consistently erratic (18 of 34 for 272 yards and two touchdowns), Fitzgerald's numbers might have been better. "Ike is the kind of guy who welcomes those challenges," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "We like guys like that on the team who are competitors and challengers."
• The Steelers lead the AFC in pass defense. But Ryan Clark's pick of Kolb on Arizona's first possession was only the team's second interception this season. "We aren't going to make a big deal of it," Tomlin said. "We have the desire to get turnovers, no doubt. That is the signature of great defenses as far as we are concerned."
• Defensive end Brett Keisel admits it will be tough playing without his sidekick, defensive end Aaron Smith. Smith was put on injured reserve Saturday and will miss the remainder of the season. "Aaron, in my mind, is the greatest," said Keisel, who had two tackles yesterday. "He's my mentor and someone who taught me this game. He'll be missed in the locker room."
Steelers vs. Cardinals 10/2 3⁄11
The Steelers defeat Arizona, 32-20, at University of Phoenix Stadium.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Healthy defensive back Mitchell eager for 2nd season with Steelers
- Steelers notebook: Blake gets outside shot in nickel
- Steelers’ Brown: Attendance ‘never a doubt’ for offseason workouts
- Rossi: Steelers’ tarnished Bell rings true
- Tomlin gives suggestion Steelers won’t be shy about going for 2
- West Virginia WR White selected by Bears
- Steelers focus on defense on final day of NFL Draft
- Steelers notebook: LB Harrison open for larger role