Polamalu confident that turnovers will come for Steelers
The Steelers have just four takeaways through nine games, and strong safety Troy Polamalu is mystified as anyone as to why the defense hasn't been more opportunistic.
"The saying goes (turnovers) come in bunches, and we're just waiting for that time to come and hopefully it comes soon," Polamalu said.
The Steelers registered 20 takeaways through their first nine games in 2010. They had five in two games last season against the Bengals, whom they visit today for a 1 p.m. game.
"I know a lot of people get caught up in turnovers or run defense or pass offense or whatever it is," said Polamalu, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year. "Whatever can get us out of games winning is the most important thing, and turnovers has a lot to do with that, of course."
Back to the grind
The Steelers have a bye week after today's game.
Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau is probably happy the bye didn't come after a 23-20 loss to the Ravens. That would have meant an extra week of thinking about the Steelers giving up a 92-yard touchdown drive to Joe Flacco and the Ravens at the end of the game.
"That's maybe the only good thing about that situation. We're so busy working on the next week that we don't have time to chew the grass up on the last one," LeBeau said. "We certainly expect to win if we get in that situation again."
Hines Ward hasn't made a catch in three weeks, mainly due to injuries, and he is fourth on the Steelers in both receptions (26) and receiving yards (258).
The 14th-year veteran, however, should attract his share of attention today from the Bengals' defensive backs.
Ward caught eight passes for 115 yards in the Steelers' 23-7 win over the Bengals last December. That was Ward's most recent 100-yard receiving game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Nearing season’s midpoint, Steelers still have issues to sort out
- Steelers lookahead: Colts QB Luck becoming one of NFL’s elite
- Steelers’ defense rebounds after shaky 1st quarter, forces Texans into mistakes
- Steelers dial up 2-point play for Brown’s TD toss
- Steelers notebook: Adams replaces concussed Gilbert
- Rookie Bryant sparks deep passing game for Steelers in victory
- Rossi: Steelers’ season all about going big
- Steelers use 3 late first-half TDs to stun Texans
- For all but 2 minutes vs. Steelers, Texans played ‘pretty good game’
- Steelers seeking solutions for scoring problems in red zone
- Snapshot in time: Comparing Cowher, Tomlin drafts