Breaston a welcome addition in K.C.
Kansas City quarterback Tyler Palko isn't the only Chiefs starter tonight with ties to the Steelers and Pittsburgh.
Receiver Steve Breaston played at Woodland Hills High School with Steelers safety Ryan Mundy. He is also good friends with Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley, as they and Mundy were teammates at Michigan.
Breaston signed with Kansas City in July, and he is second on the Chiefs in catches (39) and receiving yards (556).
Breaston had been with Chiefs coach Todd Haley for two seasons in Arizona before reuniting with him in Kansas City.
"I was so excited to get Steve Breaston here, one of my favorite players of all time. He's tough, gritty, truly a Western Pa. guy," said Haley, an Upper St. Clair graduate. "I just love being around him, and our team has taken him in."
The Chiefs have won five consecutive Sunday night home games, and Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said Arrowhead Stadium lives up to its billing as one of the tougher places to play.
His only game at Arrowhead came two seasons ago when the Chiefs upset the Steelers, 27-24, in overtime.
"I remember all the stories about it, how loud it is and how fans are really good, they know when to cheer. I remember getting there and thinking, 'This really isn't as loud as I thought it was going to be,' " Roethlisberger said. "And they take back the opening kickoff (for a touchdown), and it got really loud. It was a neat place to play. It will be an electric environment."
Heath Miller needs six catches to pass fellow tight end Elbie Nickel and move into fifth place on the Steelers' all-time receptions list. Miller has 324 catches for 3,698 yards and 31 touchdowns. ... The last Chiefs quarterback to win his first NFL start• Todd Blackledge, and it came against the Steelers in September 1984. Blackledge, a first-round pick out of Penn State in 1983, threw for 170 yards and a touchdown in the Chiefs' 37-27 win over the Steelers. Palko on Monday became the sixth consecutive Chiefs quarterback to lose in his starting debut.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Stakes high as ex-Saints receiver Moore faces his former team
- Steelers notebook: Injury to RT Gilbert opens door for Adams to start
- Steelers’ backups Archer, Harris ready to run
- Steelers notebook: Roethlisberger says Saints game is ‘must win’
- Steelers cornerback Taylor ready to swap earpiece for helmet
- Steelers’ Wheaton embraces expanding role
- NFL parity makes playoff chase a multi-team muddle
- Steelers notebook: Heinz Field not in play for Bills-Jets
- Steelers realize that Brees-led Saints are always dangerous
- Polamalu, Taylor among Steelers starters returning for Sunday’s game vs. Saints
- Steelers notebook: Linebackers on the spot against Saints offense