Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on the issues heading into his team's game against the Cincinnati Bengals:
On improving after converting just 27 percent on third down at Kansas City:
"We need more separation. We need to make more competitive catches in order to keep the chains moving and keep ourselves on the field, to give us more snaps, to keep the drive alive and ultimately, to put more points on the board. We've been very consistent in that area, but we weren't on Sunday night. "
On wide receiver Mike Wallace bouncing back after dropping several passes in Kansas City:
"I am confident that he is going to work to do that, but I will let his performance speak for his performance."
On Bengals rookie wide receiver A.J. Green warranting extra attention:
"He's a big guy. He plays big, particularly down the field. He has great top end speed, which also creates problems down the field. He has unique short area quickness for a guy of his stature. He has a lot of special talents that warrant special consideration. That's probably why he's a top-five pick. Wherever they selected him in the draft, he's lived up to that at this point."
On The pre-game scuffle last Sunday night in Kansas City:
"It was minor to my understanding. We were in the area along the 50-yard line, quarterbacks and receivers working like they normally do. Their secondary came up to the visiting boundary to work in their area. There were some words exchanged. It was quickly dispersed. I thought all parties involved did a nice job diffusing the situation. I'm talking about players and personnel with both teams. Really, it was a non-factor."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers WR Wheaton wants to produce after injury-plagued rookie year
- Steelers hope group of low-budget cornerbacks can deliver
- Steelers notebook: Ben believes rookie WR Bryant can contribute
- Inside the ropes: Roethlisberger may have his big receiver
- Roethlisberger ‘prays’ he can stay with Steelers when deal expires
- Inside the ropes: Speedy rookie Archer dazzles at 1st training camp practice
- Steelers cut linebacker Kion Wilson, sign cornerback Toler
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin sees ‘good communication’ with WRs on 1st day
- Five questions facing Steelers entering training camp
- Steelers notebook: Mitchell to miss beginning of training camp
- Steelers won’t negotiate Roethlisberger extension until after season