Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's take
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin weighs in on the issues heading into his team's game against the Cincinnati Bengals:
On improving after converting just 27 percent on third down at Kansas City:
"We need more separation. We need to make more competitive catches in order to keep the chains moving and keep ourselves on the field, to give us more snaps, to keep the drive alive and ultimately, to put more points on the board. We've been very consistent in that area, but we weren't on Sunday night. "
On wide receiver Mike Wallace bouncing back after dropping several passes in Kansas City:
"I am confident that he is going to work to do that, but I will let his performance speak for his performance."
On Bengals rookie wide receiver A.J. Green warranting extra attention:
"He's a big guy. He plays big, particularly down the field. He has great top end speed, which also creates problems down the field. He has unique short area quickness for a guy of his stature. He has a lot of special talents that warrant special consideration. That's probably why he's a top-five pick. Wherever they selected him in the draft, he's lived up to that at this point."
On The pre-game scuffle last Sunday night in Kansas City:
"It was minor to my understanding. We were in the area along the 50-yard line, quarterbacks and receivers working like they normally do. Their secondary came up to the visiting boundary to work in their area. There were some words exchanged. It was quickly dispersed. I thought all parties involved did a nice job diffusing the situation. I'm talking about players and personnel with both teams. Really, it was a non-factor."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Steelers release WR Lance Moore
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year