Steelers guard Foster set to play this week
Steelers starting right guard Ramon Foster practiced Tuesday, and he expects to play Thursday night against the visiting Browns.
Foster suffered a low ankle sprain Sunday in the Steelers' 35-7 win over the Bengals.
"He's a tough dude," Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "He should be all right."
The Steelers will be without wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, who didn't practice Tuesday because of a foot injury. Sanders apparently put too much stress on his foot after returning from knee surgery a couple of weeks ago.
"It may be time for him to sit and rest for 11 days," Arians said, "and get truly healthy."
> > Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (hamstring) didn't practice Tuesday, and he is not expected to play against the Browns. Outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) and running back Jonathan Dwyer (foot) also didn't practice. Wide receiver Arnaz Battle (hamstring) practiced on a limited basis. Inside linebacker Larry Foote, who didn't play last Sunday because of a hamstring injury, practiced Tuesday and said he is playing against the Browns.
> > Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, on pace to get sacked 45 times this season, defended his offensive line Tuesday.
"You'd probably cut those sacks in half if it wasn't for the style of game that I play," Roethlisberger said. "My thumb (injury) wasn't on a sack. The big injuries just seem to happen on regular plays. I don't think I take too many big shots."
> > Arians said it is important to him that wide receiver Hines Ward gets the 10 catches he needs to reach 1,000 for his career but not at the expense of the team.
"I want to see him get it, but it's not something we're going to force," said Arians, who was Ward's position coach from 2004-06.
"It's all about winning."
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers know fast start could be key to upcoming season
- Steelers receiver Heyward-Bey looks to make most of chance
- Steelers formalize practice squad
- Steelers opt for youth, speed while revamping roster
- Steelers finalize 53-man roster
- Former Steelers linebacker Harrison retires
- Steelers QB dismisses preseason woes, looks to opener vs. Browns
- Steelers claim former Cowboys cornerback Webb
- Steelers notebook: Safety Mitchell faces former team, hurts leg
- Veteran Keisel settles into role with Steelers
- For Steelers outside linebacker Jones, size is not an obstacle