Steelers list Roethlisberger as limited in practice
The Steelers listed Ben Roethlisberger as a limited participant in practice today, leaving his status for Monday night's game in San Francisco in question.
Roethlisberger, who is nursing a high-ankle sprain, did not practice Thursday. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has said Roethlisberger has to practice at least once in a limited capacity if he is to play against the 49ers in a meeting of 10-3 teams.
The Steelers will hold their final practice of the week tomorrow. Roethlisberger, who said yesterday that he has been getting "non-stop" treatment, was not in the Steelers' locker room today while it was open to the media.
Roethlisberger hurt his left ankle in a Dec. 8 game against the Browns, and he returned from the first high-ankle sprain of his career to lead the Steelers to a 14-3 win.
Center Maurkice Pouncey also suffered a high-ankle sprain against the Browns, and he didn't practice for the second day in a row. Also out today were strong safety Troy Polamalu (hamstring), wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) and outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring).
Right tackle Marcus Gilbert returned to practice after receiving a bit of a scare Wednesday night.
"They thought my appendix burst, so I was in the hospital all day Thursday getting IV fluids and just taking tests," Gilbert said.
Gilbert said he was diagnosed with an infection and that he should be fine for the 49ers game.
"I just need to keep taking my meds and get as much rest as possible," he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers
- Rossi: Moats looks to make a splash with Steelers
- Steelers to honor Bettis with ring ceremony in October
- Offseason training helping to accelerate adjustment to NFL life
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- Steelers wide receiver Wheaton embraces move to slot position