Steelers name Batch starter for Rams game
Charlie Batch will start at quarterback for the Steelers tomorrow, though Ben Roethlisberger may dress and serve as an emergency signal-caller.
Roethlisberger is listed as questionable for the 1 p.m. game against St. Louis, and he is one three Steelers starters that may not play against the Rams because of injuries.
The Steelers have already ruled out Maurkice Pouncey, making it the second-straight game the Pro Bowl center misses because of a high-ankle sprain. Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley is listed as questionable because of a hamstring injury that has hampered him since the end of October.
Roethlisberger, who is nursing a high-ankle sprain, played the entire game last Monday night in San Francisco. He did not practice this week even though offense coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday that Roethlisberger did not make his injured ankle worse by playing against the 49ers.
The Steelers, who have already clinched a playoff berth, have turned to Batch to lead them against a two-win Rams team that is in the midst of a five-game losing streak.
Batch has played sparingly this season and did not complete either of his pass attempts. The Homestead native will make his seventh start since joining the Steelers in 2002 and third since last season. The Steelers went 1-1 in games that Batch started last season due to Roethlisberger's suspension.
In other injury news, wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot), running back Mewelde Moore (knee) and cornerback Curtis Brown (knee) have been ruled out for tomorrow. Outside linebacker Chris Carter (hamstring) is questionable.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- Committee says Senate should consider removing Attorney General Kane
- Buffalo man killed by truck in the West End Circle wanted ‘a fresh start’
- Derailment impacting Amtrak service eastbound from Pittsburgh
- Steelers kicker Boswell puts best foot forward
- Maryland man found with missing Ohio girl in Pittsburgh motel
- Pittsburgh police chief reviewing use of force policies: Most ‘quite satisfactory’
- Penguins’ Perron returning to form
- Police find marijuana grow rooms in Castle Shannon
- Trib readers help families with Operation Santa Claus