Madison right back in the fold with Steelers
Anthony Madison re-signed with the Steelers on Tuesday, and the cornerback and special teams standout worked out at the team's South Side practice facility. Madison, who has spent time with the Steelers every season since 2006, is expected to play in Denver. Cornerback Cortez Allen likely is out because of a separated shoulder.
Allen has been playing the gunner position on the punt coverage team, and the Steelers are "a little thin at gunner-like bodies," coach Mike Tomlin said. "This is a guy that taught quite a few of our players around here how to play the position, so we're very comfortable having him back in the fold,"
Tomlin said. Madison took the place of running back Rashard Mendenhall on the 53-man roster. The Steelers placed Mendenhall on injured reserve a day after an MRI confirmed that he had torn the ACL in his right knee.
> > Tomlin said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger may be limited early this week in practice because of his left high-ankle sprain, but that the injury won't affect his availability for Sunday. Cornerback Keenan Lewis (hamstring) and tight end David Johnson (elbow) also are nursing minor injuries. Lewis left the game Sunday with a tender hamstring, and he underwent an MRI as a precaution.
"Very little or no damage," Tomlin said. "We anticipate him being fine."
> > Isaac Redman has become the Steelers' No. 1 running back, and Tomlin said he has no concerns with any aspect of Redman's game. Redman lost two fumbles in a 13-9 win at Cleveland on Sunday, though it was the first game in which he has fumbled this season.
"We're very comfortable with his ball security and how he runs," Tomlin said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Wild Wednesday proves Steelers rule
- Steelers submit application to play host to Super Bowl in 2023
- Australians rule punting competition for chance to play for Steelers
- Steelers running back Bell is taking long-term look at his NFL career
- Steelers wide receiver Wheaton embraces move to slot position
- Steelers notebook: Best RB tandem in NFL?
- Steelers CB Allen working to regain form, make an impact
- Offseason training helping to accelerate adjustment to NFL life