Steelers offensive coordinator Arians retires
Bruce Arians, whose future with the Steelers came into question this week, retired today as the team's offensive coordinator.
"I'm grateful to Bruce for his contributions and wish him nothing but the best in retirement," said coach Mike Tomlin in a statement released by the Steelers. "I appreciate his efforts over the past five years for helping to lead our offense."
Arians had taken over as offensive coordinator in 2007, Tomlin's first year as head coach. The Steelers won a Super Bowl and appeared in another during that span, but Arians was frequently criticized by fans for an offense that was too enamored with the passing game.
The Steelers were 12th in the NFL in total offense this season (372.3 yards per game), but they were tied for 21st in scoring (20.3 points per game).
On Tuesday, Steelers president Art Rooney II said the offense's inconsistency is an area where the team needs to improve.
Quarterback coach Randy Fichtner could be an in-house candidate to replace Arians. Steelers coaches, including Tomlin, will be at the Senior Bowl in Alabama next week scouting players for the 2012 NFL Draft.
The Senior Bowl is also recognized among coaches as an unofficial job fair, and Tomlin could seek candidates there. This is the first opening he has had at either offensive or defensive coordinator.
Arians had been with the Steelers since 2004, serving as wide receivers coach three seasons before being promoted to offensive coordinator.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.
- Agent: Polamalu undecided whether to play in 2015
- Starkey: In defense of Mel Kiper Jr.
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- No tag for Worilds; Steelers cut Moore
- Depth a concern for Steelers’ Colbert
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Steelers’ decision for NFL Draft: Pass rusher or cornerback?
- Steelers GM Colbert prepared to look at all options before draft
- Steelers’ Harrison announces desire to play one more year
- Steelers restructure Gilbert, Mitchell contracts; Pouncey close