Steelers offer Wallace, five others 1-year deals
The Steelers have made one-year contract offers to six of their restricted free agents, including Pro Bowl wide receiver Mike Wallace.
The Steelers offered Wallace a one-year contract worth $2.742 million, and they have the right to match any deal that another team dangles in front of the two-time, 1,000-yard receiver. If Wallace signs elsewhere, the Steelers receive that team's first-round pick as compensation.
The Steelers are believed to have offered one-year, $1.26 million deals to cornerback Keenan Lewis, guards Ramon Foster and Doug Legursky, safety Ryan Mundy and tight end David Johnson.
That is the lowest tender offer teams are allowed to make to their restricted free agents. They receive a draft pick in the round that player was taken if he signs with another team.
In addition to first-round and original tenders, teams have the option of using a second-round tender on restricted free agents. That tender comes with a one-year, $1.927 million contract, and a team receives a second-round draft picks if a player that is given that tender signs elsewhere.
Tomorrow marks the start of the NFL's new year and free-agent signing period. Teams are allowed to start signing free agents at 4 p.m.
Offensive tackle Jamon Meredith was the only restricted free agent to whom the Steelers did not offer a contract.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers kicker Boswell puts best foot forward
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not grooming successor to RB Williams
- Hempfield man fights off intruders
- Penn State football coach Franklin renews his plea for patience
- H&M to open in Westmoreland Mall
- 2nd command officer at Allegheny County Jail punished
- Stop by Stanley’s Bar & Grill in Ford City for Thanksgiving dinner
- Pitt’s Dixon monitoring minutes early in season
- North Shore parking garage plan moves forward in Pittsburgh
- Occupying playoff spot on Thanksgiving good harbinger for Penguins
- Pittsburgh man charged with 56 counts after high-speed chase over weekend