Steelers net three extra draft picks
The Steelers have been awarded three compensatory picks • all in the seventh round -- in next month's draft.
The picks, compensation for free agent losses the previous year, give the Steelers four selections in the final round of the draft and 10 overall.• Past seventh-round picks by the Steelers include running back Baron Batch (2011), tight end David Johnson (2009) and defensive end Brett Keisel (2002).
Compensatory picks were awarded at today's NFL owners meetings based on a formula of free agent gains and losses. The Steelers lost tight end Matt Spaeth and defensive end Nick Eason last year. They signed tight end John Gilmore but he did not make the team.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers veteran defenders want young teammates to step up
- Steelers’ Brown combats disruptive defensive ploys
- Steelers not receiving big returns on their offseason investments
- Steelers notebook: Defense sags in NFL rankings because of struggles against the run
- Steelers film session: Missed tackles prove costly
- Steelers’ defense out of sync
- Robinson: There’s no telling when play of aging QBs will fall off
- Steelers intrigued by athleticism of free agent Jones
- Mistakes multiply for Steelers in rout by Ravens
- Heyward confident youthful Steelers defense will improve
- Starkey: Gay’s message important, troubling