Ambridge Area athletic director suspended amid probe
Randy Cosgrove, the athletic director for Ambridge Area School District, has been suspended while district officials review the athletic department's finances.
The school board, which met Wednesday evening, did not acknowledge the suspension, and only one of the 35 people who attended the meeting mentioned it during the public comment period.
"The main thing that concerns me is the negative perception that Ambridge always has," said Carlos Carter of Harmony. "I just hope that we handle this matter the right way."
Lori Byron, the district's finance director, declined to say how much money is involved in the investigation.
"We are in the process of doing an internal review of the athletic director," Byron said.
Byron said the Tribune-Review's request for the amount of the athletic department's 2012 budget or how much Cosgrove, 60, is paid, both of which are public information, would have to be made through a formal Right to Know request.
She said the order not to release the information came from the district's solicitor, Gregory Gleason.
Gleason has refused to answer questions connected with the investigation, saying it is "related to a personnel issue."
School board President Scott Angus, in an email to the Trib, said he, too, would not discuss the matter. Both Gleason and Angus said Cosgrove, who has been the athletic director for 13 years, has not been fired.
Ahmed Aziz, first assistant district attorney in the Beaver County District Attorney's Office, said the district has not contacted county investigators.
Ambridge police did not return calls seeking information about whether they have been asked to join the investigation.
Cosgrove could not be reached for comment.
Before taking the position at Ambridge in 1998, Cosgrove was athletic director at North Hills High School. He also served as director of sports information and assistant athletic director at Robert Morris University.
In addition to his job with the school district, Cosgrove is the longtime public address announcer for Steelers games at Heinz Field.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers notebook: Starting DEs not leaving the field
- Steelers quarterback Vick getting more acquainted with offense
- Steelers hoping to establish run early against San Diego
- New-look Steelers secondary is gaining some cohesion
- Steelers QB Roethlisberger not targeting Oct. 25 return
- Steelers notebook: Running back Bell OK with play-calling against Ravens
- Steelers’ Bryant returns from drug suspension, ‘won’t happen again’
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin not worried about Jones’ lack of sacks
- Steelers notebook: Shazier practices, hopes to play Monday at Chargers
- Steelers cut Scobee, sign free agent kicker Boswell
- New Steelers kicker Boswell ready for challenge at Heinz