RiverRats rally to beat Danville
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Niel Loebig and Claude Whitaker made impressive debuts for the Pittsburgh RiverRats Friday.
As a result, the RiverRats came from behind to pull out a thrilling 34-29 victory in Danville (Ill.) over the Demolition in the American Indoor Football Association.
Loebig completed 12 of 30 passes for 157 yards and five touchdowns as the RiverRats beat the Demolition for the second time in six days to up their record to 2-3.
Whitaker, a former California University standout, caught a pair of 14-yard touchdown tosses.
Danville took a 29-28 lead on a field goal with 2:30 remaining before the River-Rats came back to win on Loebig's 36-yard touchdown pass to Marko Thomas with 31 second remaining.
David Dinkins caught the other touchdown passes covering 35 and 30 yards.
David Abdul kicked two extra points and the RiverRats were awarded two points on a safety for intentional grounding in the end zone.
"Our defense played phenomenal at times especially at the end of the game," said RiverRats coach Shawn Liotta. "I was proud of our team coming back on the road like they did."
Eugene Padgett came through with a big interception in the fourth quarter for Pittsburgh.
The RiverRats are on the road again a week from today at the Johnstown Riverhawks.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Starkey: Flashback Friday for Pitt
- Body found in Allegheny River in Harrison
- Pitt falls flat in finale loss to Miami
- Police: 4 officers injured in Colorado Springs shooting
- In Uganda, Pope Francis pays tribute to nation’s martyrs
- Man dies in ATV crash in Beaver County
- Absenteeism high on first day back after Peters Township teacher strike
- Steelers notebook: Linebacker Timmons hoping for contract extension
- Steelers plan to use smart pass rush against Seattle QB Wilson
- Suicide bomber targets crowd of Shiites in Nigeria
- 5 injured in Route 51 crash in Rostraver