Arnold drug buy produces $30,000 marijuana bust
A Wednesday morning drug buy along an Arnold street led state Attorney General drug agents and police to about $30,000 of marijuana in a New Kensington's man car and house, authorities said.
Darob D. Wright, 28, of 1337 Victoria Ave., New Kensington, is facing a drug-delivery charge, said Nils Frederickson, a spokesman for Attorney General Tom Corbett.
As a result of the drug buy, Frederickson said agents found about three pounds of marijuana inside Wright's car.
Based on that find, agents got a search warrant and, with the help of the New Kensington special weapons team, entered Wright's house without incident at about 1 p.m.
There they found at least seven more pounds of marijuana, according to authorities.
If convicted, Wright would be facing a three-year minimum mandatory sentence because he is charged with having more than 10 pounds of marijuana, the AG spokesman said. That includes what police said Wright had in his car and in his residence.
Wright was arraigned by District Judge Frank J. Pallone and ordered sent to the Westmoreland County jail in lieu of $50,000 bond. A preliminary hearing is tentatively set for April 15.
"We are seeing larger-scale marijuana cases all over your region and across the state and, of course, other drugs," Frederickson said from Harrisburg. "Yet there are some efforts to cut the funding for the drug task forces,
"In Berks County, we recently found a tractor trailer with 300 pounds of marijuana in it," he said.
Frederickson couldn't say if the marijuana has a tie to a New Kensington women who was found with about 250 pounds of marijuana in a van stopped in Mississippi or a Harrison woman who was found with five pounds of marijuana in the trunk of her car last year.
The AG's office is continuing to investigate the case and additional charges are possible, he said.
TribLive commenting policy
You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.
We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.
While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.
We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments â either by the same reader or different readers.
We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.
We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.
We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.
We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.