Arnold drug buy produces $30,000 marijuana bust
A Wednesday morning drug buy along an Arnold street led state Attorney General drug agents and police to about $30,000 of marijuana in a New Kensington's man car and house, authorities said.
Darob D. Wright, 28, of 1337 Victoria Ave., New Kensington, is facing a drug-delivery charge, said Nils Frederickson, a spokesman for Attorney General Tom Corbett.
As a result of the drug buy, Frederickson said agents found about three pounds of marijuana inside Wright's car.
Based on that find, agents got a search warrant and, with the help of the New Kensington special weapons team, entered Wright's house without incident at about 1 p.m.
There they found at least seven more pounds of marijuana, according to authorities.
If convicted, Wright would be facing a three-year minimum mandatory sentence because he is charged with having more than 10 pounds of marijuana, the AG spokesman said. That includes what police said Wright had in his car and in his residence.
Wright was arraigned by District Judge Frank J. Pallone and ordered sent to the Westmoreland County jail in lieu of $50,000 bond. A preliminary hearing is tentatively set for April 15.
"We are seeing larger-scale marijuana cases all over your region and across the state and, of course, other drugs," Frederickson said from Harrisburg. "Yet there are some efforts to cut the funding for the drug task forces,
"In Berks County, we recently found a tractor trailer with 300 pounds of marijuana in it," he said.
Frederickson couldn't say if the marijuana has a tie to a New Kensington women who was found with about 250 pounds of marijuana in a van stopped in Mississippi or a Harrison woman who was found with five pounds of marijuana in the trunk of her car last year.
The AG's office is continuing to investigate the case and additional charges are possible, he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers’ Harrison eyes stretch run
- Steelers notebook: Tomlin ends practice with third-down work
- Penguins co-owner Lemieux snuffs rumored rift with Crosby
- Warrants issued for women accused of prostitution in New Stanton sting
- NFL notebook: Gifford had CTE, family says
- Starkey: Artie Rowell’s incredible odyssey
- Pirates sign free agent 1B-OF Goebbert, RHP Webster
- Russia’s crackdown in predominantly Muslim region fuels exodus to ISIS
- Emotional send-off awaits Pitt seniors
- Pizza delivery woman robbed in Greensburg
- Obama signs $607B Defense bill but blasts GOP limits for Gitmo