Missing Kiskiminetas kayakers from Plum found safe, OK
Two missing kayakers from Plum are safe after a mishap forced them to spend the night along the Kiskiminetas River.
Jaimie Simon, 22, and Zachary Becker, 23, were brought to the Avonmore Life Savers EMS service shortly after 9 a.m. by an unidentified man who found them near the Edmon Bridge between Westmoreland and Armstrong counties.
Both were uninjured and left the EMS station to go home about 10:30 a.m.
Simon said she and Becker were kayaking last evening downriver from Edmon when struck a submerged tree, which dragged her kayak underwater. Becker managed to grab Simon and get her to shore safely.
Becker managed to start a fire — Simon "had turned blue" from being submerged in the frigid Kiski's water — and they were forced to spend the night.
The pair began walking east along the riverbank at daylight and were found by the unidentified man, who drove them to the EMS station.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Unabashed church pastors put politics front and center
- Black Friday chaos dwindles thanks to earlier deals, online sales
- Group urges Port Authority of Allegheny County to fund more transit routes
- Pakistan’s private schools chief rebukes teenage activist Malala Yousafzai
- Contractor eyes early finish to work on New Stanton interchange of Interstate 70
- Penguins lose hard-fought game to Blue Jackets in overtime
- 2 Greensburg properties left on demo list
- $2,000 donated for abused puppies recovering at South Huntingdon shelter
- Convinced Fed will raise rates in December, investors parse meaning of ‘gradual’ increase
- Jeannette trudges through blight
- Greensburg streetlights to be updated, save city $90K