‘Mr. McFeely’ to be honored at regional Emmy Awards
David Newell — best known as Mr. McFeely, the “Speedy Delivery” man of “Mister Rogers Neighborhood” — is the recipient of the Mid-Atlantic Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences 2019 Board of Governors Award.
The award will be presented at the 37th annual Mid-Atlantic Emmy Awards on Sept. 28 in Pittsburgh.
Though the show has been out of production since 2001, Newell has continued to don the uniform for appearances at public television stations, fundraisers and other special events.
About the lasting impact of the show and his part in it, Newell has said, “It’s very rewarding because I feel, as David Newell, that I’ve been a part of a larger picture. … A lot of people think ‘Mister Rogers’ is fun and games all the time but it’s not. Fred dealt with some very heavy topics.”
The following people will inducted into the Silver Circle Society at this year’s Emmy Awards:
• Cesar Aldama, operations manager at WCAU NBC 10 and Telemundo 62 in Philadelphia
• Dave Crawley, feature reporter at KDKA-TV in Pittsburgh
• Bruce Gordon, reporter at WXTF Fox29 in Philadelphia
• Lynne Hayes-Freeland, longtime KDKA-TV reporter, host and producer in Pittsburgh
• Mark Johnston, retired videographer at WPXI in Pittsburgh
• Gregg Mace, sports director and anchor at WHTM in Harrisburg
• Grover Silcox, producer at WLVT in Allentown
• Patty Satalia, host and producer at WPSU Penn State
Shirley McMarlin is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-5750, [email protected] or via Twitter .