Sony, Marvel agree to swing together on 2 more Spider-Man films
LOS ANGELES — Spider-Man won’t be leaving the Marvel Cinematic Universe anytime soon.
After a public fallout last month, Sony Pictures Entertainment and The Walt Disney Studios have found a way to work together. The studios said Friday that they would be teaming up once more to produce a third “Spider-Man” film starring Tom Holland.
Disputes over the profit-sharing structure put Spidey’s future in the MCU in doubt, much to the chagrin of many fans who had enjoyed seeing Spider-Man fighting alongside The Avengers.
Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige expressed his appreciation of the deal in a statement.
“Spider-Man is a powerful icon and hero whose story crosses all ages and audiences around the globe,” Feige said. “He also happens to be the only hero with the superpower to cross cinematic universes. I am thrilled that Spidey’s journey in the MCU will continue, and I and all of us at Marvel Studios are very excited that we get to keep working on it.”
“Peter Parker’s story took a dramatic turn in ‘Far From Home,’ and I could not be happier we will all be working together as we see where his journey goes,” producer Amy Pascal said. “This has been a winning partnership for the studios, the franchise and the fans and I’m overjoyed it will continue.”
The next Spidey film will hit theaters July 16, 2021.