WQED hosts Remake Learning Days for families
Pittsburgh Puppet Works, cooking in the WQED Kitchen, a Sesame Street screening and free bike helmets are all in store during a Remake Learning Days event WQED will host.
The free event will be held 10 a.m.-noon May 11 at 4802 Fifth Ave., Oakland, with free parking offered at Central Catholic High School.
Registration is required at eventbrite.com
Part of the larger nationwide Remake Learning Days Across America, the Pittsburgh event includes a program in the Fred Rogers Studio focusing on health and wellness. It also will be connected to Sesame Street materials and resources.
• Pittsburgh Puppet Works performance at 10 a.m., focusing on healthy eating, followed by puppet creation activities for families. There will be resources on social and emotional wellness in children and how dramatic play and creative problem solving can play a part in overall wellness of families (Fred Rogers Studio).
• A cooking demo and workshop around healthy eating in the WQED kitchen with support and staff from Whole Foods (Studio C). Families will receive the Sesame Street tool kit “Food for Thought” that includes recipes and other resources.
• Screening event of “Sesame Street Super Foods” (Studio B), where families will receive a copy of the DVD.
• Venture Outdoors will provide family-friendly activities to get bodies moving toward a healthier lifestyle.
• Pittsburgh Riverhounds will offer soccer exercises and drills in the WQED parking lot.
• Aetna will have an exhibit and provide free portion plates and toothbrushes.
“Remake Learning Days is a great opportunity for kids and families to have some fun and learn about living a healthy lifestyle,” says Gina Masciola, WQED manager of education projects.
Mary Pickels is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Mary at 724-836-5401, [email protected] or via Twitter .