High school band to kick off Ligonier Diamond concerts
Ligonier Valley High School’s Concert and Jazz Bands and Percussion Ensemble are scheduled to perform May 26 in Ligonier’s Diamond Park, kicking off the town’s 70th Annual Summer Band Concert Series.
Sponsored by the Ligonier Valley Chamber of Commerce, the concerts are held at 7 p.m. Sundays at the park’s Bandstand.
This year’s concerts will be the first to make use of the park since it underwent $3.5 million worth of renovations last year.
That project increased seating at the park by 30 percent and spruced up the bandstand with a new stone veneer, wider stairs and a new copper roof.
The park’s concert tradition dates back to the 1894 construction of its original “Music Pavilion” bandstand.
Additional groups scheduled to perform in this summer’s concert series include:
• June 2 — Jeannette Community Band
• June 9 — Swing City
• June 16 — Blairsville Community Band
• June 23 — Allegheny Brass Band
• June 30 — Scottdale Area Concert Band
• July 7 — Kiski Valley Community Band
• July 14 — Delmont Area Community Band
• July 21 — Penn Trafford Community Band
• July 28 — Community Band South
• Aug. 4 — East Winds Symphonic Band
• Aug. 11 — Big Fat Jazz
• Aug. 18 — The Wally Gingers Orchestra
• Aug. 25 — Somerset County Community Band
The concerts are made possible by contributions received from individuals, organizations and a grant from the Westmoreland County Bureau of Parks and Recreation. Local Scouts assist with set-up, donation collections donations, and cleanup at the concerts.
In case of inclement weather, the concerts will be held in the Ligonier Town Hall auditorium.
Jeff Himler is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jeff at 724-836-6622, [email protected] or via Twitter .