‘Space Barons’ book discussions slated at Westmoreland libraries
Readers are invited to explore a modern-day space race by registering for the One Book, One Westmoreland book discussion series at a participating library.
Sponsored by the Westmoreland Library Network, the program focuses on “The Space Barons,” the story of billionaire entrepreneurs — including Elon Musk, Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson — who are investing their fortunes in the development of a new generation of spacecraft. This recent book by journalist Christian Davenport relates how the founders of some of the biggest brands in the world have turned their attention to rebooting space travel, with a goal of eclipsing the achievements of NASA, at a lower cost.
Those who would like to join in an upcoming discussion session should visit the area library where it will be held to sign up for the program and borrow a copy of the book.
Through a partnership with the Westmoreland Symphony Orchestra, any Westmoreland County library member who participates in the One Book program will have the opportunity to purchase a ticket at a discounted price of $12 for a May 11 orchestra performance at Greensburg’s Palace Theatre. The concert will feature music by John Williams, composer of scores for the “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” film series.
The following book discussions are planned:
- Jan. 24 — 6 to 7 p.m., Scottdale Public Library, 724-887-6140, scottdalelibrary.com
- Jan. 28 — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Mount Pleasant Public Library, 724-547-3850, mountpleasantpalibrary.org
- Feb. 20 — 6 to 7 p.m., Adams Memorial Library, Latrobe, 724-539-1972, www.adamslib.org
- Feb. 28 — 6 to 7 p.m., Greensburg Hempfield Area Library, Greensburg, 724-837-5620, ghal.org
- March 5 — 6 to 7 p.m., Norwin Public Library, Irwin, 724-863-4700, norwinpubliclibrary.net
- March 12 — 6 to 7 p.m., Vandergrift Public Library, 724-568-2212, facebook.com/VandergriftPublicLibrary
- March 27 — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Ligonier Valley Library, Ligonier, 724-238-6451, ligonierlibrary.org
- April 9 — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Murrysville Community Library, 724-327-1102, murrysvillelibrary.org
- April 10 — 6 to 7 p.m., Peoples Library – Lower Burrell, 724-339-1565, peopleslibrary.org
- April 13 — 1 to 2 p.m., Jeannette Public Library, 724-523-5702, jeannettepubliclibrary.com
- April 29 — 6:30 to 7:30 p.m., Penn Area Library, Harrison City, 724-744-4414, pennlib.org
Visit wlnonline.org/events for more information.
Jeff Himler is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jeff at 724-836-6622, firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @jhimler_news.
Jeff Himler is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jeff at 724-836-6622, email@example.com or via Twitter .