Pittsburgh chefs, eateries in running for prestigious James Beard Awards
Pittsburgh is represented in six categories for the semifinalist round of the James Beard Foundation's 2018 Restaurant and Chef Awards.
The Steel City semifinalists are:
• Outstanding Restaurant: Legume Bistro in North Oakland, run by chef Trevett Hooper
• Outstanding Restaurateur: Richard DeShantz and Tolga Sevdik, Richard DeShantz Restaurant Group, which includes Butcher and the Rye, Meat & Potatoes, Pork & Beans, and Tako
• Best Chef, Mid-Atlantic: Wei Zhu, Chengdu Gourmet in Squirrel Hill; Bethany Zozula, Whitfield, at the Ace Hotel Pittsburgh in East Liberty; and Kristin Butterworth, Lautrec, Nemacolin Woodlands Resort, Farmington
• Outstanding Pastry Chef: Casey Renee, Whitfield
• Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professional: Meredith Meyer Grelli and Alex Grelli, Wigle Whiskey, Strip District
• Rising Star Chef of the Year: Becca Hegarty, Bitter Ends Garden & Luncheonette, Bloomfield
The James Beard Foundation Awards are the food industry's highest honor, given in categories including chefs and restaurants, books, journalism, broadcast media, restaurant design and graphics, and lifetime achievement. Time magazine called them “the Oscars of the food world,” according to the foundation website.
Named for the late cook, cookbook author, teacher, television personality and champion of American cuisine, the foundation's mission is to “celebrate, nurture and honor chefs and other leaders making America's food culture more delicious, diverse and sustainable for everyone.”
The foundation will name the finalists on March 14, with the winners to be announced at a May 7 awards gala in Chicago.
For more information on the foundation, the awards and nominees, visit jamesbeard.org
Shirley McMarlin is a Tribune-Review staff writer. Reach her at 724-836-5750, email@example.com or via Twitter @shirley_trib.