ShareThis Page
Home & Garden

Ask an expert: How to repair a damaged finial?

| Friday, Jan. 26, 2018, 8:39 p.m.

Question: The finial on a newel in my home was damaged. I'm not sure what happened, but I'm wondering whether this is something I can fix with a wood filler or whether I should disassemble the finial and replace the damaged part. If replacement is the best option, how difficult is it to do, and where am I likely to find a matching finial?

Answer: You could replace the missing wood with two-part epoxy, but to give the repair a finished look, you'd probably need to paint at least the cap. To keep the natural wood look, though, you'd need to pry off the cap and replace it.

If you opt for a patch, first cut a plastic putty knife or an old credit card so you can use one edge as a shaper to form the profile you need to match. The plastic needs to have the negative shape if you consider the wood the positive shape. After that, the steps are simple enough: Brush on a bonding agent if recommended with the epoxy you buy, mix the epoxy components, push the epoxy into place with a putty knife or a gloved hand, then shape the fill. Because you need only a little filler, options include the six-ounce kit for PC-Woody wood epoxy paste ($9.45 at Home Depot) or even the 1.5-ounce kit of PC-Woody brown epoxy adhesive ($5.64 at Lowe's).

If you opt to replace the cap, use a thin prying tool, such as the Grip 8-inch pry bar/nail puller ($17.99 at Woodcraft) to remove the damaged trim. You'll need to poke around a bit to figure out whether there is mitered trim around the base that you can remove to give you access for lifting the top of the cap. Or you might find that the cap was installed as one unit. Slip a putty knife blade underneath the pry bar as you work so that you don't damage the post.

It might be possible to hunt down a ready-made replacement at a store that specializes in salvaged building materials.

If you have only one newel post, the replacement cap wouldn't necessarily need to be a perfect match; it would just need to fit over the post and have a style that wouldn't look odd given the rest of the staircase. However, it might be more time-efficient to simply make a new cap in matching wood, which from the picture you sent appears to be oak.

A furniture repair company can make a duplicate piece. Or you might want to investigate using local facilities for woodworkers, which can offer access to woodworking tools once you have been checked out on safety. If you can't justify the membership fees, perhaps an existing member would make the replacement piece for you as a favor. Or maybe there is a woodworker in your neighborhood or among your friends. Whoever does the fabrication, be sure to save scrap wood so that you can test stains to get as close a match as possible to the post.

Jeanne Huber is a contributing writer for The Washington Post.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.

click me