Travel tip: Thanksgiving Day parades abound across the U.S.
All you Thanksgiving Day parade lovers, this could be the year to get out of your jammies, turn off the TV and see the spectacle in person. Here are five great turkey day parades around the country:
• Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade, New York City — while 44 million watch at home, 3 million line the 2.5-mile route for the granddaddy of them all.
• McDonald’s Thanksgiving Parade, Chicago — A contingent from Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey leads the way and, yes, Ronald McDonald walks the route with dozens of his ilk in tow.
• America’s Hometown Thanksgiving Parade, Plymouth, Mass. — Go back to where the holiday started for not just a parade, but a whole weekend of activities.
• America’s Thanksgiving Parade, Detroit — Among the floats and giant balloons, look for the Big Head Corps, a costumed troupe wearing giant papier mache heads.
• Annual H-E-B Holiday Parade, Houston, Texas —A tradition for more than 60 years, the downtown parade features marching bands, cheerleaders and floats.
Shirley McMarlin is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Shirley at 724-836-5750, [email protected] or via Twitter .