Police say Steelers' Antonio Brown busted doing over 100 mph on McKnight Road
The morning before the Steelers took on the Carolina Panthers, police say they nabbed wide receiver Antonio Brown for driving more than 100 mph along a stretch of bustling shopping centers on McKnight Road.
Brown, 30, was heading south on McKnight Road near Babcock Boulevard Thursday in Pittsburgh’s North Hills when his black Porsche caught the attention of a Ross Township police officer, Ross police Det. Brian Kohlhepp said.
Brown, who received a citation for reckless driving, could not be reached for comment.
The officer had been patrolling the area in response to a bank robbery at the WesBanco branch in McCandless Crossing, Kohlhepp said.
“So, our officer was on McKnight Road at the bottom of the hill,” nearby a Red Lobster restaurant and shopping center anchored by Target and Kohl’s, said Kohlhepp. “He sees a car go by at a high rate of speed and goes to stop the car. He thought it might be related to the bank robbery.”
The officer paced behind Brown’s car, using his calibrated speedometer to determine Brown was “traveling in excess of 100 mph,” Kohlhepp said.
The speed limit on McKnight Road shifts from 40 mph to 45 mph where Brown was traveling.
The officer attempted a traffic stop.
“(Brown) did stop and pull over,” Kohlhepp said. The traffic stop occurred around 10 a.m.
The Ross police department has not cited Brown for any other traffic violations in recent memory, Kohlhepp said.
“We are aware of the situation, but we are still gathering information,” Steelers spokesman Burt Lauten said. “We won’t have any further comment at this time.”
Police caution all motorists against speeding, particularly on heavily trafficked thoroughfares lined with commercial activity such as McKnight Road.
“No emergency is worth going that fast,” Kohlhepp said. “You jeopardize your well being as well as those of other motorists.”
The reckless driving incident comes a month after it was reported that Brown is facing a pair of lawsuits in Florida. The suits allege that Brown threw furniture from a 14th floor balcony of a housing unit that nearly struck two people on the ground, including a toddler. The building’s landlord also filed suit against Brown for damages to the furniture and apartment estimated at $100,000.
Brown released a statement in October maintaining his innocence and calling the claims “false.”
Megan Guza is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Megan at 412-380-8519, email@example.com or via Twitter @meganguzaTrib. Staff writer Natasha Lindstrom contributed.