Smith: Bridgeville area churches find new space, mark milestones
A 43-year-old church has found new life in a new space.
New Life Fellowship has opened at 56 Prestley Road, Bridgeville, in the former Grace Community Church building.
New Life began in 1973 under the name Greater Pittsburgh Bible Church in the Masonic Building in Carnegie. In 1977, it changed its name to New Life Fellowship. Dudley Mays became its pastor in 1981.
In 1989 it began sharing space with Hillside Community Church in Carnegie and later took over the former Lorenz Avenue Baptist Church in Pittsburgh's West End, a facility built in 1907.
Its growing congregation and activity schedule made a second location necessary, resulting in the Bridgeville building in October.
Chris Mays of South Fayette has been the pastor since his father died in 2008.
Services are 10 a.m. Sunday at the Bridgeville campus and 11:45 a.m. at the West End church. On Sundays at 3 p.m., Rev. Prabhu Isaac of Solid Rock Revival Church holds services there.
The building also is home to a home/school organization and a counseling and recovery group. The West End facility holds a food pantry that distributes more than 55,000 pounds of food yearly to 1,200 households, a clothing ministry, and an ongoing midweek kids ministry.
The community outreach from the Bridgeville church is being established.
“We are a welcoming, diverse, casual, contemporary and upbeat church,” Chris Mays said. “We are able to come together as one because of Jesus Christ.”
For more information, call 412-922-3703.
• Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, Scott Township, originally was an afternoon Sunday school sponsored by St. John Lutheran Church in Carnegie. It met in the old Bower Hill School on Vanadium Road until being officially confirmation as a congregation in 1946 and building a church at 1700 Bower Hill Road in 1950. It celebrated its 70th anniversary in October under the leadership of its interim pastor, the Rev. Gene Hollingsworth.
Its Women-Helping-Women group recently sponsored a craft and vendor show. Services are at 10 a.m. every Sunday. Also housed in the building is the Greater Hope Restoration Ministries, which offers Sunday worship at 12:45 p.m. with the Rev. Cheryl Jones-Ross.
• Karen Jacobo is the new pastor at Federal United Methodist Church in South Fayette. Originally a Sunday school at the Pittis home in 1889, the church was built at 811 Dutch Hill Road with donations secured from local mining families in Beechmont, Hickman, Federal, Rosevale and Burdine. It was dedicated on land donated by the Herriott family in September 1891.
By 1896, it was one of four churches in the Noblestown Circuit, which consisted of congregations in Noblestown, Federal, Sturgeon and Treveskyn.
By 1948, it shared a pastor with Noblestown United Methodist and today shares with Midway United Methodist. In September, it celebrated its 125th anniversary. Services are at 9:30 a.m. on Sundays.
Charlotte Smith is a Tribune-Review contributing writer. Reach her at 724-693-9441 or firstname.lastname@example.org.