ShareThis Page
Baldwin Street residents offered unique solution to flooding issues | TribLIVE.com
Carnegie/Bridgeville

Baldwin Street residents offered unique solution to flooding issues

1004014_web1_flood

While solutions to the flooding problem in Bridgeville Borough are still being devised, one option for some residents has been put on the table: Get out.

Borough Council authorized an application to participate in the Federal Emergency Management Agency Hazard Mitigation Program. The application is for residents of Baldwin Street.

If approved, residential property-owners on Baldwin Street can sell their home. FEMA will pay 80 percent of the cost and Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency will pick up the remaining 20 percent.

The sale price will be determined by an appraisal. If the home has already been damaged by flooding, the property owner need not worry.

“The house is appraised at pre-disaster values,” Borough Manager Lori Collins said.

If the homeowner disagrees with the appraisal, they may back out and reimburse the borough for the cost of the appraisal.

About 40 homeowners on Baldwin Street received a survey about the program. Collins said 10 of those are now in the application process. The appraisal process is the next step.

Collins said the program has the potential to be a money-saver for the federal government.

“A lot of them have flood insurance through FEMA. And FEMA would rather pay for the property (than pay for a claim),” Collins said.

If a property owner has received a claim from FEMA for past flooding, and has not used the funds, that amount will be deducted from the appraised value.

Deadline for the grant is May 24. Collins said beyond that, the timeline is undetermined.

After the homes are demolished, the borough is required to maintain and use the land for green space. Collins said they can request to use the space for other purposes. One other use mentioned was parking.

Borough council approved the resolution unanimously.

Categories: Local | Carlynton
TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.