Monroeville Recreation and Parks events through June, summer months
Monroeville Recreation and Parks Department has several events planned for the month of June.
• June 4: This will be the first day for the Monroeville Summer Day Camp for children 5 1⁄2 to 13. The Monday-Friday camp will be from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at the Monroeville Community Park (east) and costs $145 for each. Camp activities include craft projects, games, swimming at the Monroeville Community Pool and a field trip. Parents must provide a lunch for their child each day. The day camp will run every week through June and July. The last week will be Aug. 6-10.
• June 4: This will the first day for the Camp Chipewee Day Camp for special needs children aged 6 to 25. The Monday-Friday camp will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Monroeville United Methodist Church, 219 Center Road and costs $13 per day for Monroeville residents. Non-residents pay $25 per day. Camp activities include physical activities, arts and crafts, games, swimming and field trips. Parents must provide a lunch for their child each day. The day camp will run every week through June and July.
• June 4: The municipality will host a class called “Handguns — Home Safety & Personal Protection” for people interested in learning safety guidelines for handling hand guns from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Municipal Building, 2700 Monroeville Blvd. The cost is $20 for anyone over 21 years-old. Topics will include applicable use of force issues, self-protection tips, various gun permits needed, handling and storage of firearms. Participants are asked to not bring personal guns to the class.
• June 7: The Monroeville Senior Center will host a yoga class from 6 to 7 p.m. for peope aged 16 and older for $40. The class is available for all skill levels. Participants are asked to bring a mat and a water bottle.
• June 11: American Red Cross will host swimming lessons at the Monroeville Community Pool, 1100 Abers Creek Road, for those 6 months and older for $50 to $55 depending on class level. Each class runs for two weeks, Monday through Thursday. Spaces are limited.
• June 12: C.S. Kim Karate at 3955 Monroeville Blvd. will host martial arts classes from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays through June for children aged 5 to 12. The cost is $44 and includes basic skills on martial arts.
• June 16: The Monroeville Old Stone Church will host a tour of the historical site at 2700 Stroschein Road from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. for those 12 and older. The cost is $5 and includes a tour inside the 124 year-old church and the Cross Roads Cememtery. The Historical Society's archivist will also give a presentation on the “pioneering families of Monroeville.”
For more information on all the above programs, call the recreation and parks department at 412-856-1006 or visit bit.ly/2LsGxoL.