Joint police academy canceled, ice cream social and more
The Penn Hills and Monroeville joint police academy has been canceled for the fall session due to lack of interest.
The eight-week course is typically held twice a year. Penn Hills Detective Leo Johe said the police departments plan on holding a session again in Spring 2020.
Ice cream social to be held at church
Saint James Episcopal Church will hold an Ice Cream Social on Sept. 28 from 1 to 3 p.m. at the Lost and Found Pharmacy on Frankstown Road. Meet new friends, enjoy ice cream and play games. For more information, call the Rev. Eric McIntosh at 412-242-2300.
New church on Hamil Road
New Life Community Ministries will open its doors to the public Sept. 15. The Rev. J-Lavon Kincaid, a former Penn Hills councilman, said there will be a balloon release following the service.
The congregation has met in the Imani Christian Academy for three years and recently bought the building at 447 Hamil Road, which will serve as its new “house of worship,” Kincaid said.
Rosedale Fall Festival planned
The Rosedale Beach Club will host its third annual fall festival from 6 to 10 p.m. Sept. 12-14 at its site at 5407 Third St. There will be games, rides, food, live entertainment each night and raffle prizes.
This year, there will be a “kids corner” for children’s games. The festival’s admission is free, including free parking.
Proceeds raised from the event will benefit the Rosedale Beach Club, the Rosedale Food Pantry and other community organizations.
Penn Hills Library events
• Children are invited to play with Legos from 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 12 in the Children’s Library.
• The library will give a presentation on Roza Shanina from 7 to 8 p.m. Sept. 12 in Rooms A and B. Shanina was a young kindergarten teacher in 1941 when she signed up to become a sniper in the Red Army. There will be World War II artifacts and a replica of Roza’s uniform as part of the presentation. Contact the library to sign up.
• Gwen Tucker will lead a beginners Zumba class from 9 to 10 a.m. Sept. 14 in the Community Room. Call her at 412-277-1677 for more information.
• Young adults are invited to watch an anime movie from 6 to 8 p.m. Sept. 16 in Room B. The movie will be “Dragon Ball Super: Broly.”
• The Penn Art Group will meet from 10 a.m. to noon Sept. 17 in Rooms A and B. The painting group meets every Tuesday.
• The library’s Teen Advisory Board will have a board meeting from 5 to 7 p.m. Sept. 17 in the Children’s Library.
• The library’s Advanced Knitting group will meet from 7 to 8 p.m. Sept. 17 in Room A.
• Congressman Conor Lamb’s office will send a representative to speak with community members from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sept. 18 in Room A. Contact his office at 412-344-5583 to set up an appointment.
•The Wednesday Friends Book Club will meet from 2 to 4 p.m. Sept. 18 in Room B. The group will discuss “The Blues Walked In” by Kathleen George.
• George Bender will lead a Yoga session from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Sept. 18 in rooms A and B. Contact him at 412-793-2108 for more information.
• The Keepin’ It Real Book Club will meet from 7 to 8 p.m. Sept. 18 at the library’s lower level tables. The group will discuss “Haunted Pennsylvania: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Keystone State” by Mark Nesbitt.
Art and Coffee Holiday Sale
Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona is hosting an Art and Coffee Holiday Sale on Sept. 13, from noon to 4 p.m. Start your holiday shopping early. Proceeds of the art will benefit the Marie Mambu Makaya Foundation. Coffee sales will benefit Building of Hope. Food sales will benefit the church. For more information, visit KerrChurch.org
Church hosts support group
Zion Lutheran Church in Penn Hills hosts a support group for people who have loved ones who are addicted to alcohol at 7 p.m. every Tuesday.
The church is at 11609 Frankstown Road.
A Divorce Workshop for Women will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Beatty Pointe Village, 700 Beatty Road in Monroeville. The workshop will delve into the legal, financial and emotional stress stemming from divorce and how to prepare for it.
The workshop costs $35 per person and pre-registration begins Sept. 11.
Networking group meets biweekly
The Women’s Business Network, Monroeville Area Chapter, meets from 8:15 to 9:15 a.m. every second and fourth Wednesday of each month at Panera Bread, 400 Penn Center Blvd. in Wilkins Township.
Call Jo Luncher at 412-372-3411 for more information.
Plum High School alums sought
The Plum High School Class of 1979 will hold a 40th anniversary celebration from 5:30 to 11:30 p.m. Oct. 11 at the Harmar House, 1321 Freeport Road.
The event will cost $65, which includes dinner and access to a cash bar.
Registration will be held from 5:30 to 6:30, which will be held in conjunction with a cocktail hour.
For more information, email [email protected].
Dillon Carr is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Dillon at 412-871-2325, [email protected] or via Twitter .