Parkway East closures to impact weekend traffic
Check your route if your weekend travel plans involve Parkway East.
Westbound Parkway East lanes from Edgewood/Swissvale (Exit 77) to the Boulevard of the Allies on-ramp will be closed starting at 9 p.m. Friday for road work, according to PennDOT. Closures will continue through 5 a.m. Monday.
All trucks heading toward Pittsburgh will be detoured at Wilkinsburg, Exit 78.
Cars may continue to Edgewood/Swissvale, Exit 77. Drivers should follow a detour from South Braddock Avenue to Penn Avenue, then take Fifth Avenue to the Boulevard of the Allies on-ramp.
The closure includes westbound on-ramps at Ardmore Boulevard in Wilkinsburg and westbound on-ramps at Edgewood/Swissvale.
Other weekend restrictions on Parkway East include:
- Single-lane restriction on Parkway East westbound between the Squirrel Hill Tunnel and the Oakland off-ramp from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday.
- Westbound on-ramps from Forward Avenue and Beechwood Boulevard will be closed starting around 7 p.m. Friday. Those ramps will remain closed through 5 a.m. Monday.
Detours could result in lengthy delays. PennDOT suggests considering routes that avoid the Parkway East, including:
- For Downtown and North Shore destinations, take the Pennsylvania Turnpike in Monroeville to Allegheny Valley and follow Route 28 southbound. Another option is to take the turnpike in Monroeville to Cranberry and follow I-79 southbound to I-279 southbound to the Parkway West.
- For Pittsburgh International Airport or other destinations west of the city, take the turnpike in Monroeville to Cranberry and follow I-79 southbound to I-376 westbound.
- Drivers south of the city should use Second Avenue or Route 837.
Additional travel updates and detour information is available at the PennDOT travel information site, www.511PA.com.
Crews will be working on expansion dam replacement, ramp paving, roadway grinding in the Squirrel Hill Tunnel, guide rail improvements, approach slab work, line painting and drainage work, according to PennDOT.
Closures on the eastbound side of the Parkway East is tentatively scheduled for June 28 to July 1.
Jamie Martines is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jamie at 724-850-2867, [email protected] or via Twitter .