Penn Hills boy, 15, faces trial on homicide charge regarding death of Mt. Oliver man | TribLIVE.com
Allegheny

Penn Hills boy, 15, faces trial on homicide charge regarding death of Mt. Oliver man

Dillon Carr
1639135_web1_php-myzleprelim01-091919
Allegheny County District Attornery’s Office
Myzle Ford, back right, sits with his mother, back left, while they are interviewed by two Allegheny County Police Department detectives on July 15, 2019.

A 15-year-old Penn Hills boy who was charged with homicide in July will stand trial as all his charges were upheld by a Pittsburgh Municipal Court judge.

Myzle Ford appeared before Judge Tom Caulfield on Friday in gray prison garb. He was represented by a public defender, Christopher Patarini, who spoke on Ford’s behalf and entered a not guilty plea.

Patarini was unable to persuade Caulfield that the prosecutor, Assistant District Attorney Jonathan P. Fodi, did not establish criminal intent for the charges against Ford. They include homicide, conspiracy to commit robbery and inflict serious bodily injury, robbery and possession of a gun as a minor.

Fodi said criminal intent is not intended to be established during a preliminary hearing. Instead, that would be decided during a jury trial.

Caulfield ordered that all charges against Ford be held for court.

The charges stem from a robbery July 14 during which Joshua A. Makhanda-Lopez, 30, of Mt. Oliver was shot three times in the head. Makhanda-Lopez’s dead body was found still seat belted in his car, which was parked in a lot for a Sharon Court apartment complex in Penn Hills.

According to police, Ford fled to his mother’s house on Frankstown Road after he and another suspect allegedly were involved in the shooting on Sharon Court. He and some others in the house came out when his mother told him to exit, police said.

Onaje Dickinson, 20, of Pittsburgh, whom police described as Ford’s accomplice, did not come out of the house.

When Penn Hills police Officer Jared Rothert entered the home’s basement, Dickinson reportedly opened fire on him. The incident was captured on body camera video that was released by the Allegheny County District Attorney’s Office last month.

Rothert shot and killed Dickinson. Allegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. cleared the officer in the death of the 20-year-old, who was wanted on a warrant in connection with a July 5 robbery.

At Ford’s preliminary hearing, Fodi played a video clip of Allegheny County Police detectives’ interview with Ford and his mother.

During the interview, Ford tells a detective Dickinson used his phone to message Makhanda-Lopez, who was to sell him marijuana. He said he didn’t know Makhanda-Lopez.

“And then (Dickinson) told me I’m going to have to come or he’s going to kill me. And I said, bro, I’m not going, bro,” Ford said in the video.

Ford said he went with Dickinson across the street, and that’s when Dickinson “pulled out the gun and shot him.” At that point, Ford said, he ran back to his mother’s house, which was across the street.

Police recovered two guns after investigating the shootings — a silver, .38-caliber revolver and a black, 9mm handgun. Bullet casings from a 9mm handgun were recovered where Makhanda-Lopez was found.

A detective asked Ford during the taped interview which gun he had. Ford said he was unsure but thought he had the black 9mm and that Dickinson had the silver revolver.

“But I know for a fact I didn’t shoot him,” Ford told detectives.

He then said he ran back to his mother’s house because he was scared. When Dickinson followed, Ford said someone let him into the basement. Ford said he then gave the gun back to Dickinson.

Ford is being held at Allegheny County Jail in Pittsburgh without bail. He is scheduled for a formal arraignment Oct. 8 in Allegheny County Court.

Dillon Carr is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Dillon at 412-871-2325, [email protected] or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.