Happenings in Plum and Oakmont this week
Need something to do in Oakmont or Plum this week?
Check out these activities:
• Let’s Groove Tonight, the premier Earth, Wind & Fire tribute band, returns to the Oaks Theater in Oakmont at 310 Allegheny River Blvd. Friday.
Doors open at 6 p.m. with the show set for 7:30 p.m. Dancing is highly encouraged. Tickets are $22 to $25 and available at showclix.com or call 888-718-4253.
Tickets are $5. Box office opens at 6 p.m. on show nights.
• Oakmont Carnegie Library hosts Gentle Yoga with instructor Cora Fetchko 10:30-11:30 a.m. Tuesday at 700 Allegheny River Blvd.
The program is suitable for all levels and no registration is necessary.
• Meditation with a Monk is set for 6-7 p.m. Tuesday at the Oakmont library. Join the monks from Natrona Height’s Pittsburgh Buddhist Center for an hour of relaxing meditation. The program is offered every Tuesday evening.
• Mom’s Night Out! is back at the Oakmont library 6-7:30 p.m. Thursday.
This month’s craft is collage or paint a recipe box. Drinks and refreshments will be provided and participants can bring their own. No registration’s necessary.
Oakmont library programs are free. Call 412-828-9532 for more information.
• Plum Community Library hosts nationally acclaimed cartoonist Joe Wos for Family Fun: Once Upon a Toon from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Wednesday at 445 Center-New Texas Road.
It’s an all-ages show that blends storytelling and live cartoon illustration.
• Circle of Stitchers will meet at the Plum library from 10 a.m. to noon and from 6-8 p.m. Thursday. Knitters, crocheters and stitchers of every kind are invited to meet and share their techniques and resources.
Call 412-798-7323 for more information on Plum library programs and to register for either event.
• Oakmont Chamber of Commerce presents Hometown Christmas 4-8 p.m. Saturday.
The parade starts at 5 p.m. along East Railroad Avenue in Verona and travels into Oakmont via Allegheny River Boulevard.
There will be a 50/50 drawing, Chinese auction, and about 80 vendors including crafters, nonprofit organizations and local businesses participating. A highlight of the festivities will be the traditional Christmas tree-lighting ceremony.
Other activities include performances by Greater Harmony Chorus, a dance troupe from Kelsey’s Dance and Fitness Center, St. Irenaeus Preschool carolers and Redeemer Lutheran School singers.
Children will receive free cookies and candy canes while visiting Santa at the Oaks Theater.
More information is available at oakmont-pa.com or call 412-828-3238.
Michael DiVittorio is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Michael at 412-871-2367, [email protected] or via Twitter .