Variety of activities going on in Plum and Oakmont this week
Looking for something to do besides eat and drink in Plum and Oakmont this week?
Here are some suggestions:
- Add some extra style to your jeans at a craft workshop 10 a.m. to noon Friday at the Plum Community Center, 499 Center-New Texas Road. Instructor Mary Helen Hough will show how to paint designs on denim. Cost is $5. People are encouraged to bring their own denim clothing.
- Tai chi is scheduled for 6:30 p.m Wednesday at the community center.
- Mommy and Me Yoga is set for 10-11 a.m. Thursday at the Plum center. Cost is $5 per class.
The class is designed for children ages birth through 5 years old with their parents or caregivers. Learn basic moves and stay for playtime and conversation after the class
Call 412-795-2330 for more information about community center programs.
- Fox Chapel artist Richard Lechner is Oakmont Carnegie Library’s artist of the month. A showcase of his favorite photos of Pittsburgh, Erie, Alaska, Italy and other places will be on display all month long at the library, 700 Allegheny River Blvd.
- Baby Lap Sit, a special storytime for children ages 2 and younger is set for 10:15-11 a.m. Tuesday at the Oakmont library. There will be stories, songs, social interaction and play time afterwards.
Meditation with a Monk is set for 6-7 p.m. Tuesday at the Oakmont library. Join the monks from Natrona Height’s Pittsburgh Buddhist Center for an hour of relaxing meditation. The program is offered every Tuesday evening.
Zumba with Kara Steiner is from 6:30-7 p.m. Wednesday at the Oakmont library. The dance fitness class is designed to keep people of all skill levels moving. No registration is required.
A beginners tai chi class is set for 10-11 a.m. Thursday at the Oakmont library. Instructor Jeri McCutcheon designed the program to help increase energy, reduce stress, improve balance and eliminate mental hurdles to start exercising.
Oakmont library programs are free. Call 412-828-0532 for more information.
- Learn how to play the game Dominoes 12:30-3:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Plum Community Library, 445 Center-New Texas Road.
- Youths in grades fifth and up can learn sticker making and origami 5-6 p.m. Wednesday at the Plum library. Registration is required.
- Circle of Stitchers will meet at the Plum library from 10 a.m. to noon and from 6-8 p.m. Thursday. Knitters, crocheters and stitchers of every kind are invited to meet and share their techniques and resources.
Call 412-798-7323 for more information about Plum library programs.
Michael DiVittorio is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Michael at 412-871-2367, [email protected] or via Twitter .