Erie diocese IDs 34 priests, 17 lay people accused of abuse
ERIE — The Roman Catholic Diocese of Erie, Pennsylvania, has published a list of 34 priests and 17 lay people who are facing credible accusations of sexual abuse or inappropriate behavior.
It's the first time the diocese has revealed the names of those accused of abuse.
The move comes as a grand jury run by the Pennsylvania Attorney General's office investigates how the diocese and five others in Pennsylvania have handled misconduct allegations against priests.
Bishop Lawrence Persico said Friday that the list is different from those released at other dioceses because it includes lay people also credibly accused of inappropriate behavior or abuse.
Twenty-one of the priests and two of the lay people on the Erie list are deceased.
The release comes just weeks after the diocese in Buffalo, New York, put out a similar list.
The individuals on this list are believed to be alive and living in the locations noted:
• Former Fr. Michael J. Amy — Niceville, Florida
• Fr. Michael G. Barletta — Erie
• Fr. Robert F. Bower — Edinboro
• Andre C. Butler — Rosedale, New York
• Former Fr. Dennis C. Chludzinski — Erie
• Megan E. Fecko — Cleveland
• Kevin J. Feyas — Erie
• Former Fr. Chester J. Gawronski — Sahuarita, Ariz.
• Timothy G. Hanson, Sr. — North East
• Fr. Stephen E. Jeselnick — Colorado Springs, Colo.
• Former Fr. Gary L. Ketcham — Erie
• Fr. Thaddeus T. Kondzielski — Waterford
• Kevin S. Kulhanek — Erie
• Fr. Salvatore P. Luzzi — Bradford
• Eve Minter (née Spangler) — Henrico, Virginia
• David Montgomery — Otisville, N.Y. (in federal prison until 2041)
• Fr. Leon T. Muroski — Erie
• Denise J. (née Geitner) Myers (Meyer) — Greensburg
• Hattie B. Nichols — Erie
• Philip J. Pochatko — Subiaco, Ark.
• Brian J. Radachy — Elkton, Ohio (in federal prison until 2024)
• Former Fr. Samuel B. Slocum — Bradford
• Former Fr. Thomas E. Smith — Erie
• Fr. Daniel J. Taylor — Tucson, Ariz.
• Ron Thomsen — Erie
• Dennis E. Vickery — Erie
• Joseph M. Votino — Masury, Ohio
• Craig T. Ward — Erie
The list below names those who are deceased but would be on the above list of people prohibited from employment.
Individuals are listed with their current (in the case of priests) or last known (in the case of laypersons) status with the Diocese of Erie or any of the schools or agencies within the diocese.
• Fr. Donald C. Bolton, CSsR
• Fr. Edmund S. Borycz, OFM
• Msgr. Bonaventure M. Ciufoli
• Fr. Donald J. Cooper
• William (Bill) Couse
• Fr. David V. Dobrowolski
• William P. Garvey
• Fr. Herbert G. Gloekler
• Fr. Robert E. Hannon
• Fr. Joseph W. Jerge
• Fr. Edward W. Jungquist
• Fr. Thomas C. Kelley
• Fr. Gerard (Gerald, Gerry) H. Krebs
• Fr. Jerry Kucan, OFM
• Msgr. Daniel Martin
• Msgr. Joseph F. Meisinger
• Fr. John L. Murray
• Fr. Giles L. Nealen, OSB
• Fr. John A. Piatkowski
• Former Fr. William F. Presley
• Fr. John P. Schanz
• Fr. Charles A. Sheets, Jr.
• Bishop Alfred M. Watson