State doles out $6 million to airports for infrastructure, equipment upgrades
Seven airports in Allegheny, Butler, Fayette, Washington and Westmoreland counties are among 26 airports in 23 counties getting a share of more than $6 million in state grants to make infrastructure and equipment upgrades, Gov. Tom Wolf’s administration announced Thursday.
“With more than 400 airports across the state, this support from my administration helps keep aviation a viable transportation alternative and adds to our economy as well,” Wolf said. “These airports support hundreds of thousands of jobs and offer services that are attractive to the business community and others interested in general aviation.”
Included in the grants is $2.2 million in state funding from PennDOT’s Aviation Development Program, which comes from the state’s jet fuel tax, and $4 million from the multimodal fund.
The two funding streams leverage $2.1 million in local matching funds.
Airports receiving funding include:
- Allegheny County Airport: $223,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield.
- Butler Farm Show Airport: $37,500 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield; $45,000 to trim and remove trees off the airport that impact the approach to the runway.
- Pittsburgh-Butler Regional Airport: $90,000 to design the rehabilitation of taxiways and a new access road on the south side of the airport.
- Joseph A. Hardy/Connellsville Airport: $75,000 to rehabilitate and replace parts of the airport’s weather reporting system.
- Washington County Airport: $450,000 to rehabilitate and improve the main on-airport access roadway.
- Arnold Palmer Regional Airport: $187,500 to upgrade radios and other security equipment and miscellaneous improvements; $150,000 for the design of a corporate hangar site development and roadway access improvements.
- Rostraver Airport: $75,000 to acquire equipment to maintain the airfield; $112,500 to improve utility service to airport hangars.
Brian Rittmeyer is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Brian at 724-226-4701, firstname.lastname@example.org or via Twitter @BCRittmeyer.