Girl Scouts debut early registration program for preschool girls
Girls in preschool can now join the Girl Scouts as part of a new extended registration program allowing enrollment at a younger age.
Any girl entering kindergarten this fall is eligible to take part in the new Daisy Launch initiative. A $35 membership will last until Sept. 30, 2020.
When the girls enter kindergarten they will become full-fledged Daisy Girl Scouts.
Daisies are the youngest Girl Scouts, in kindergarten and first grade.
Previously, children could not join the program until they were in kindergarten. A typical 1-year membership costs $25.
Girls in the Daisy Launch program will have a chance to earn their first badge, and be able to take part in local Girl Scout events such as trips to a Pirates game and the Pittsburgh Zoo.
The Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania will host several upcoming Daisy Launch events with more information on the program:
• Sewickley: 4 p.m. May 1 at Sewickley Public Library, 500 Thorn St.
• Avonmore: 10 a.m. May 5 at Camp Skymeadow, 164 Sky Meadow Road.
• Greensburg: 6 p.m. May 14, Girl Scouts of Western Pennsylvania Office, 126 E Otterman St.
• New Kensington: 6 p.m. May 14, Memorial Park, 1500 Stevenson Blvd.
• Irwin: 5:30 p.m. May 20, New Hope Presbyterian Church, 12727 Lincoln Way.
• Apollo: 6 p.m. May 30, Northmoreland Park, 280 Markle Road.
More information about the program and the events is available on gwspa.org
Jacob Tierney is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Jacob at 724-836-6646, [email protected] or via Twitter .