Asbestos testing delays prompt New Kensington to adjust demolition plans
New Kensington is focusing on tearing down residential buildings this year because asbestos testing on a couple of commercial properties is taking longer than expected, according to city officials.
The commercial properties removed from this year’s demolition list include the former Funzi’s Cafe at 1301 Taylor Ave. and the former Terrace Hotel at 800 East Hills Drive. Code Enforcement Officer Pat McGrath said accessing the properties and getting asbestos testing results back has taken longer than anticipated.
The city also has delayed the demolition of a house at 1254 Martin Ave., where McGrath said officials could not access the inside of the building because the foundation has collapsed.
Three residential properties were added to this year’s demolition list in place of the properties that were removed, including ones at 415 Seventh St. Ext., 523 Earl Ave. and 1145 Forest Ave.
The city also plans to tear down four residential buildings previously announced for demolition, including houses at 525 Earl Ave., 343 Fourth Ave. and 182 Esther Ave. and a garage at 1024-1/2 Kenneth Ave.
The city’s Redevelopment Authority is accepting bids for the demolition work until 2 p.m. Oct. 17, when they’ll be publicly opened and read in council chambers at city hall, 301 11th St.
The project includes demolition, asbestos abatement and site restoration.
Bid documents are available for review at city hall and Alpha Engineering, 2668 Leechburg Road, Lower Burrell. A mandatory pre-bid meeting to review asbestos survey information and remediation requirements will be held at 2 p.m. Oct. 15 at city hall.
Once a contract is awarded, city Clerk Dennis Scarpiniti said he expects the work to be done by the end of December.
Brian C. Rittmeyer is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Brian at 724-226-4701, [email protected] or via Twitter .