Car catches fire near kerosene tank at Sheetz in Plum; no one injured
A car caught fire Tuesday night near a kerosene tank in the parking lot of a Sheetz gas station in Plum, prompting officials to shut down the gas pumps and close the convenience store for several hours.
No one was injured in the incident, officials said.
Plum police and firefighters from several units — including Oakmont, Lower Burrell and Plum — responded to the fire near Sheetz’s car wash at the convenience store on Hulton Road near the Oakmont Country Club shortly after 7:30 p.m., according to officials from the store and Allegheny County 911 dispatchers.
Officials quickly extinguished the fire with fire-retardant foam and cleared the area within about 30 to 40 minutes.
Plum police Chief Jeff Armstrong said Wednesday a mechanical issue is believed to have been the cause of the fire, and officers are not treating it as a criminal matter.
Sheetz officials are cooperating with police and ensuring they follow safety-related protocols before reopening for business.
A store clerk said about 9 p.m. that he was unsure when the Sheetz location might reopen.
Natasha Lindstrom is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Natasha at 412-380-8514, [email protected] or via Twitter .