New Kensington men deny stealing items from unlocked Lower Burrell cars | TribLIVE.com
Valley News Dispatch

New Kensington men deny stealing items from unlocked Lower Burrell cars

Madasyn Czebiniak
1035199_web1_vnd-lbbreakins-032219
Lower Burrell police on Thursday, March 21, 2019, released a video of at least one of the perpetrators wanted in a series of thefts from unlocked vehicles.

Two New Kensington men who police said went into unlocked vehicles in Lower Burrell last month told police they were drunk and looking for a lost cellphone, but denied going into cars to steal items inside, according to a criminal complaint.

Isiah C. Mangol and Darius Rasavn Johnson, both 19, told police Johnson lost his cellphone while they were at a party in the area of Jefferson Street the night of March 13, according to a criminal complaint.

The complaint said they went back to the area early March 14 to look for the phone along with Isaiah Puryear, also 19 and from New Kensington.

Over the next two days, police said, they received six reports from residents along Jefferson Drive, Chestnut Street, Iowa Drive, Edward Street and Michigan Avenue reporting their unlocked vehicles had been entered overnight. Five people reported items were missing.

Police said home surveillance footage provided by residents showed Mangol, Johnson and Puryear walking in the area early March 14, with Mangol and Johnson entering vehicles.

The complaint said Mangol and Johnson denied going into cars but said they had been in the area looking for Johnson’s cellphone. When police told them about the surveillance footage, they said they had been drunk, according to the complaint. Johnson told police he might have opened a car door but didn’t steal anything, the complaint said.

None of the men was charged in the reported thefts, but police charged all three men with loitering and prowling at night and disorderly conduct, both misdemeanors.

Madasyn Czebiniak is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Madasyn at 724-226-4702, [email protected] or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.