Christmas events planned in the Alle-Kiski Valley
The Apollo Christmas Parade and Party will be from 6:30 to 9:30 p.m. Dec. 6 in the Apollo Plaza.
The parade will begin at 6:30 p.m. and proceed down Pennsylvania Avenue and North Second street into the plaza. The Apollo-Ridge High School Chorus will sing and the Christmas tree will be lit. Apollo Area Historical Society will open Drake Log Cabin and serve hot chocolate and cookies. The Funky Monkey Donut truck will sell doughnuts.
• Photos with Santa Claus will be from 10 a.m. to noon Nov. 30 at Cheswick Volunteer Fire Company, 1411 Spruce St.
Professional photos will be taken by a photographer and can be downloaded for free via a private link. Leashed pets also welcome.
• Christmas at the Gazebo will be from 6 to 7 p.m. Dec. 7 in the gazebo on Pittsburgh Street. Sponsored by the borough recreation board and volunteer fire company, free cookies and hot chocolate will be served and Santa and Mrs. Claus will be on hand.
Christmas on Candy Cane Lane will be from 3 to 7 p.m. Nov. 30 in downtown Ford City. Sponsored by the Ford City Renaissance Partnership, there will be food, craft vendors and free activities.
• Freeport Celebrates a Small Town Christmas, sponsored by Freeport Renaissance Association, will be Dec. 7 in the borough. Events include a breakfast with Santa at 8:30 a.m. at St. Mary Church, vendors and entertainment from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the former junior high school, and visits with Santa from 2 to 4 p.m. at Freeport Volunteer Fire Hall. The Christmas parade will begin at 5 p.m. A community church service will be at 6:30 p.m. at Freeport United Presbyterian Church of Freeport, 411 High St. with a cookie social afterward. For a complete schedule, visit Freeport Renaissance Association on Facebook.
• Freeport Renaissance Association is sponsoring a House Decorating Contest. Categories are Traditional Christmas Home and Griswold Christmas Home. No entry forms required. Judging will be Dec. 16. Winners will be announced on Facebook and at freeportcommunity.com. Houses must be in Freeport Borough, including Laneville.
The township Christmas Parade and Festival will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Dec. 7. The parade will start at 4 p.m. at the intersection of Alabama Avenue and Broadview Blvd., right onto Liberty Avenue, left onto Union Avenue and end in the Heights Plaza parking lot. The festival will be after the parade in the plaza parking lot in front of the former Senator Ferlo office. There will be performing groups, DJ Michael Zeiler, children’s crafts, food trucks and an appearance from Santa. Donations will be accepted for Toys for Tots. Rain or shine.
The Luminate Leechburg event will be Nov. 30 along Market Street in the borough.
Coco Coffeehouse, 163 Market St., will host a story hour from 11 a.m. to noon, pictures with Santa will be from noon to 2 p.m. and a children’s craft hour will be from 2 to 3 p.m. There will be s’mores and face painting from 3 to 5 p.m. at Kiski Valley Community Church. The parade will begin at 5:30 p.m. followed by the lighting of the Christmas tree. The fire company will fill a fire truck with donations for Toys for Alle-Kiski Kids. A dance will be after the tree lighting at the Elks, 228 Market St.
The parade will begin at 11 a.m. Dec. 7 at Barnes and Eighth Street, proceed up Fifth Avenue to 11th Street, left to Fourth Avenue and past the reviewing stand at Fourth Avenue and Ninth Street. A touch-a-truck event will be afterward in the 700 block of Fourth Avenue in front of the fire station.
• Christmas at Plum Creek will be from 5:30 to 9 p.m. Dec. 5 in Plum Creek Park, 4575 New Texas Road. There is no parking at the event site. Free shuttles will be available beginning at 4:30 p.m. in the lower lot at Plum High School; at St. John the Baptist Church, 444 St. John St.; and Amplify Church, 9400 Saltsburg Road. There will be crafts, live reindeer, horse drawn carriage rides, food vendors, entertainment, a tree lighting and the arrival of Santa.
• The Boro Bonfire will be from 6 to 8 p.m. Dec. 13 at Plum Creek Park, 4575 New Texas Road. Student from Plum High School will entertain, and there will be free s’mores, hot chocolate and apple cider. No shuttle service will be available.
Tarentum Recreation Board is sponsoring a Holiday Window Lighting Contest for businesses in the borough.
Prizes will be awarded for the best decorated windows. Businesses must enter the contest to be judged. Judging will be Dec. 19. To enter, call Carrie at 724-448-1470 or email [email protected]
The Vandergrift Christmas Parade and Party will be Nov. 29. The party will begin at 5 p.m. on Grant Avenue with entertainment, food, crafts and vendors. Borough merchants will also be open.
The parade will begin at 6 p.m. at the intersection of Hancock and Walnut Street in the Heights area of Vandergrift and proceed to Franklin then down to Grant Avenue. Santa will be in the former J. C. Penney building, 134 Grant Ave., after the parade.