Donations sought for 2020 New Kensington fireworks
The Fourth of July wasn’t that long ago, but organizers of New Kensington’s fireworks display already are thinking about next year.
And they’re worried.
Proceeds from a basket raffle during a block party preceding this year’s display were supposed to help pay for next year’s fireworks.
Rain on July 6 not only forced the fireworks to be delayed a day, from Saturday to Sunday, but also cut foot traffic during the block party for a few hours — so much so that the basket raffle raised only $932 — less than half of the $2,000 that had been collected last year, event chairwoman Erika Plunkett said.
Plunkett is hoping people will step forward with donations.
With the Fourth of July falling on a Saturday in 2020, Plunkett said she wants to put on a bigger and better display.
“We have to outdo the year before,” she said. “In order to do so, we need to get funds in.”
This year’s fireworks cost $15,000, she said. She’s expecting next year’s to cost as much as $17,500.
Plunkett said officials rely on private donations and conduct fundraising throughout the year.
“We don’t have a corporate sponsor,” she said, adding, “Having a corporate sponsor wouldn’t be a bad thing.”
Brian C. Rittmeyer is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Brian at 724-226-4701, [email protected] or via Twitter .