ShareThis Page
Elderly man staying in South Buffalo still missing after 2 weeks | TribLIVE.com
Valley News Dispatch

Elderly man staying in South Buffalo still missing after 2 weeks

Mary Ann Thomas
| Thursday, January 10, 2019 9:55 a.m
623868_web1_MissingManVND
Kenneth L. Himes, 70, has been missing since Dec. 26, 2018.

Police still have not found the elderly man who went missing from South Buffalo more than two weeks ago.

Several hundred emergency volunteers, family and friends searched for Kenneth L. Himes, 70, after he left the home of a family member along Cadogan-Slate Lick Road between 11:30 p.m. Christmas night and 8 a.m. the following day, Dec. 26.

“We received numerous tips and videos, thus far nothing has been verified as being him,” said state police Cpl. Curtis Guntrum on Thursday.

He was last seen wearing a black jacket, black tassel cap and white athletic shoes.

Himes, who suffers from several medical issues, including signs of dementia, lives at a Pittsburgh-area personal care home.

There have been reported sightings of Himes in the Pittsburgh area, according to Guntrum, but none of the tips have panned out so far.

“It is possible that he left the area,” he said. “But the less calls we receive, the less hopeful we are of that.”

Searchers scoured a 10-mile radius around Cadogan-Slate Lick Road. They came up empty at a pond just smaller than a football field that was drained near the Cadogan-Slate Lick Road home where Himes was staying.

Police are asking the public to continue to keep looking for Himes.

Anyone with information on Himes is asked to call state police at 724-543-2011.


Mary Ann Thomas is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Mary Ann at 724-226-4691, mthomas@tribweb.com or via Twitter @MaThomas_Trib.


Mary Ann Thomas is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Mary at 724-226-4691, mthomas@tribweb.com or via Twitter .

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.