Halloween activities in the Alle-Kiski Valley
To have your event listed, send information to Carol Pinto-Smith, Valley News Dispatch, 210 Fourth Ave., Tarentum, PA 15084; email [email protected]; or fax 724-226-4677.
Trick-or-treat and events open only to residents of the designated community include:
• Allegheny Township: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Apollo: 5 to 8 p.m. Oct. 26. A parade will be at 4 p.m. Oct. 26. Lineup will be at 3 p.m. behind AJ Tire and proceed down to the Apollo Plaza where there will be a trunk-or-treat. Costume prizes will be awarded.
• Arnold: 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 26
• Bethel Township: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Brackenridge: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Cheswick: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Frazer: 6 to 8 p.m. Nov. 1
• Gilpin: A township trunk-or-treat will be 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 30 at the fire hall. To register, contact the fire department.
• Harmar: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Harrison: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Kiski Township: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Leechburg: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Lower Burrell: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• New Kensington: 5 to 7 p.m. Oct. 26
• North Apollo: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. The Volunteer Fire Department will host Popcorn on the Pad featuring free hot chocolate and popcorn during trick-or-treat.
• Plum: Halloween Movie Party, 2 to 4:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at Plum Community Center, 499 Center New Texas Road, featuring “Toy Story 4,” candy and games. Sponsored by Plum Borough and Plum Rotary.
• Oakmont: Riverside Women’s Association parade will be at 10 a.m. Oct. 26. Lineup will be at 9:45 a.m. behind the Kwik Fil gas station on Isabella Street. Each child will receive a goodie bag. Rain or shine.
• Springdale: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 31, trick-or-treat throughout the borough and trunk-or-treat in the borough building parking lot.
• Tarentum: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31
• Upper Burrell Children’s Halloween Party, 7 p.m. Oct. 25 at the municipal building, free for township children. Registration required by Oct. 18. Registration: 724-337-8004
• Vandergrift: 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31. The parade will be at 6 p.m. Oct. 26. Lineup and distribution of numbers will be at 5 p.m. at the Kennedy Park gazebo on Jackson Avenue. Cash prizes will be awarded. Numbers are required for treats and prizes at the end of the parade. Groups and floats are encouraged to participate.
• Vandergrift Parent Project Great Pumpkin Patch, 1 p.m. Oct. 26 in the Franklin Avenue playground. Free. Each child will receive a real pumpkin and decorating station. There will be a basket raffle, food, costume contest, DJ, carnival games, storytime with Vandergrift Public Library and prizes. RSVP requested at Vandergrift Parent Project on Facebook.
• West Deer Trunk-or-treat, 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 26 in the parking lot of East Union Presbyterian Church Community Center, 200 East Union Road. Free. Each car trunk will be decorated and have a game and treat for children. Pizza and drinks will be served in the community center. Sponsored by the church and West Deer Parks and Recreation Board.
Activities open to the public:
• Apollo Tag and Title Haunted Maze, noon to 4 p.m. Oct. 26, 219 First St., Apollo. Free haunted maze, pumpkin patch and treats. Sponsored by Apollo Tag and Title, Apollo Masons and Eastern Star and Apollo-Ridge Foundation.
• Audubon Society Creatures of the Night, Oct. 18 and 19 at Beechwood Farms Nature Reserve, 614 Dorseyville Road, Fox Chapel; and Oct. 26 at Buffalo Creek Nature Center, 154 Monroe Road, Buffalo Township. Sessions are at 6:30, 7 and 7:30 p.m. Come in costume to walk the trails and encounter larger-than-life costumed creatures and enjoy crafts and refreshments. Rain or shine. Cost: $10; members, $6; free for 2 and younger. Reservations: aswp.org or 412-963-6100
• Bethel United Methodist Church Pumpkin Patch, 150 Alder St., Lower Burrell, will open at 1 p.m. Oct. 13. Hours: 9:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 8 p.m. Sundays through Oct. 31. Special events on Oct. 19 include a pet parade at 1 p.m., carving contest at 3 p.m. and pumpkin bowling. Proceeds will benefit local, national and international ministries of the United Methodist Church.
• Christ the King Parish Halloween Costume Party and Dance, Oct. 19 at the church hall, 125 Park Road. Doors open at 7 p.m., buffet dinner at 8. Tickets: $25; or $40 per couple, include buffet dinner, beverages, prizes and dancing to DJ Mixmasters. Costumes optional. Must be at least 21 to attend. Tickets: 724-845-8191
• Freeport Kiwanis Pumpkin Path, 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 26 at Freeport Area High School, Buffalo Township. In case of rain, the event will be indoors. Key Club members will read to children and sell carved pumpkins. Cider, hot chocolate, coffee, hotdogs and cookies will be sold.
• Kiski Township Fire Department Hayride, 6 to 10 p.m. Oct. 19 at the fire hall, 1037 Route 56. Cost: $2. The kitchen will be open and there will be children’s activities inside.
• Leechburg Halloweenburg Celebration, Scarecrow contest with $100 grand prize. Parade, 7 p.m. Oct. 24, line up and judging at 6 p.m. at the fire department, 268 Canal St., cash prizes. Pumpkin Carving Contest, bring a lighted jack-o-lantern to the Weenie Wagon, 153 Market St. by 5 p.m. Oct. 24 for cash prizes. Pumpkin Trail, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Oct. 26, trick-or-treat downtown for children 12 and younger. Pick up a Trail Card at participating downtown businesses.
• Natrona Halloween Boo Bash, 6 to 8 p.m. Oct. 31 in Natrona Community Park. Children from all municipalities welcome. Hosted by Building Block of Natrona. Free candy, raffles and DJ.
• Northmoreland Park Hobgoblin Hike, 7 to 9 p.m. Oct. 19 at the park, Allegheny Township. Half-mile hike haunted by ghouls, monsters and goblins recommended for ages 8 and older. Parents are urged to attend with children. Refreshments will be available. Sponsored by the county parks and recreation department. Donations will be accepted. Rain or shine.
• The River New Kensington Trunk-or-Treat, 4:30 to 7 p.m. Oct. 27 at the church, 200 Freeport Road. Free snacks, crafts, games and a movie for kids of all ages. Registration will be at 4:30 p.m. and trick-or-treat at 5 p.m. for children age 2 through sixth grade. Adults welcome to decorate their car and hand out candy.
• Shadows Haunted Attraction, 748 Bull Creek Road, Fawn. This is a half-mile haunted walking trail. Hours: 7:30 to 10 p.m. Thursdays, 7:30 to 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through Oct. 26. Admission: $10. Details: theshadowhaunted.com
• Springdale Open Bible Church, 401 Colfax St., Springdale, will hand out free goodie bags from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 31 at the church.
• Tarentum Boo Fest, 3 to 6 p.m. Oct. 12 in Riverview Memorial Park, First Avenue. There will be a costume contest, hay rides, a hay maze, pumpkin art, magic show, games, food and trick-or-treat with local businesses. Hosted by the Tarentum Recreation Board. Details: Carrie, 724-448-1470
• Trunk or Treat Sunday, 1 to 2 p.m. Oct. 20 in the back parking lot at Mount St. Peter Church, 100 Freeport Road, New Kensington. Adults and families are welcome to decorate their open trunk with a fun Halloween theme and pass out treats to local children in costume. There will be free games, food, and beverages. Registration is required to decorate your trunk. Sponsored by the Catholic Youth Ministry of New Kensington. Registration: Karen, 412-427-9112 or [email protected]
• Trunk or Treat and Monster Mash Bash, Oct. 19 at Salem Lutheran Church, 301 E. Pittsburgh St., Delmont. Trunk or Treat from 6 to 6:30 p.m. in the parking lot. Monster Mash Bash from 6:30 to 8 p.m. in Newhou-se Hall. Dress up, decorate your car and enjoy food and music. Details: 724-468-4189
• Valley Points Family YMCA Boo Bash, 6 p.m. Oct. 18 at the Kiski Valley YMCA, 511 Hyde Park Road, Allegheny Township. Trick-or-treat at 6 p.m. and watch, “Spookley, The Square Pumpkin” at 6:45 p.m. Donations of candy, treats and volunteer time appreciated. Details: 724-845-1968