Principal: Bomb threat made to Highlands Middle School not credible
A bomb threat made Tuesday morning to Highlands Middle School was not a credible, the school’s principal said in a statement.
Middle School Principal Kimberly Price said in a statement that police swept the school after the call was received and found no dangers.
“Police escorted students back to the middle school after 10 a.m. and students are now safely back in class,” Price said in the statement. “Thank you to all students, parents, teachers and administrators for working together to keep our students safe.”
The school moved a basketball and soccer game to Wednesday.
Harrison police were contacting telephone companies to trace the threatening phone call. The caller said he had “a van full with 20 people and various weapons and bombs, and they’d be there at 8 a.m.,” Highlands School District Superintendent Monique Mawhinney said.
She said the threat was directed at the middle school only.
Harrison police Chief Mike Klein, who listened to a tape of the call, said the man sounded younger.
Klein said moving the students and staff was “done quietly, calmly and safely,” and there were no injuries.
While a trace of the call was started, officers listened to the tape to see if they recognized the voice.
The threatening call came into the middle school office at 7:15 a.m. and prompted a decision to move middle school students to the high school gym, “where all of them are safe and sound,” Mawhinney said.
Bus drivers were instructed to take students to the high school instead of the middle school.
An initial message to parents warned that a bomb threat had been received.
“All students and buses coming to the middle school were diverted and evacuated to Highlands High School. Local officials and authorities are actively and thoroughly searching the middle school and investigating the situation. Parents are encouraged to have their child remain at the high school until new information is available and communicated. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding,” the message read.
Mawhinney said some parents took their students from school.
Harrison, Tarentum and school police are investigating.
Chuck Biedka is a Tribune-Review staff writer. You can contact Chuck at 724-226-4711, [email protected] or via Twitter .